57. Twoset Daycare II

A/N: This is the sequel to Chapter 56. Twoset Daycare.  Brett is 5 and Eddy is 4 and it's Eddy's first day at Daycare.

-----------------------------------------------

It was morning tea time and Brett came running over after washing his hands with his peers from the Giraffe's group to sit at the large table that was set up with plastic bowls. Eddy was already seated and Brett plopped himself in the seat next to him.

"Hi Eddy!"

Eddy gave a shy smile when he noticed Brett came to sit next to him.

"..Hi Brett."

The staff came around with a plate of chopped up fruit and a large serving spoon.

"What fruit would you like Eddy?"

"Bananas, please."

"Oh my, you have lovely manners, Eddy."

The staff member smiled and put a scoop of bananas into Eddy's bowl.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome. How about you Brett?"

"May I have a bit of everything, please?"

Eddy widened his eyes. Brett flashed a cheeky grin at Eddy.

"Next time you can ask for everything too Eddy."

With all the initial nerves and now with a full tummy, Eddy became very sleepy after his morning tea.

He was found rubbing his eyes a lot in the reading corner so one of the carers took him by his hand and lead him to the napping room where he was put with some of the 2,3 year olds who still took morning naps. Eddy was lead to have a lie down with them on his own little mat. Eddy curled up under the thin blanket and fell asleep.

It was lunchtime and Brett was wondering where Eddy was. As he started to tuck into his lunch, Brett decided to ask one of the carers.

"Miss Kate, where is Eddy? He is new in Elephants."

"Oh.. he still must be napping."

"Would you like me to go and wake him up?"

"How about I help you all with your lunch first and then you and I can go and see Eddy together afterwards?"

"Okay."

Brett helped to tidy up after lunch by stacking up the used bowls and putting the used cutlery into a bucket. He then went to wash his hands and accompanied Miss Kate to the nap room.

Just as they entered the room, Eddy sat up. He looked a bit confused and his lips quivered till he saw Brett.

"Hi Eddy."

"...Hi Brett..."

"Are you still sleepy?"

"No... I'm hungry..."

Miss Kate smiled and helped Eddy up.

"C'mon Eddy, let's go visit the bathroom and wash your hands so you can have something to eat."

Eddy looked like he was still trying to wake up, he had a bunch of hair sticking out to the side like a horn and he fidgeted as he was lead to the bathroom. Brett decided to wait for them outside the bathroom, he followed them back into the main play area where the large eating area was dismantled and only a couple of tables were left put together. Kate lead Eddy to sit down and Brett sat next to him. She then brought over a bowl of food and a fork.

Eddy looked at the fork and shook his head.

"Oh Eddy, do you want to be fed ? You're 4 years old sweetie, how about you show me how much you can eat by yourself first?"

Brett got out of his seat and went to the cutlery cupboard and went up on his toes to open the drawer and took out a pair of chopsticks.

Miss Kate saw Brett return to the table with chipsticks and said,

"Brett, it's pasta. And besides, I don't think Eddy would know how to use them yet.."

Brett ignored Miss Kate and passed the chopsticks to Eddy and Eddy quickly grabbed them and started to eat his macaroni with it.

Kate widened her eyes and smiled.

"Chopsticks it is then."

Miss Kate walked to the cupboard to return the fork. She then noticed some food spilt on the floor so she decided to clean it up with some paper towels and floor cleaner spray which was in the cleaning cupboard with a child lock.  She had her back turned to the boys while she was getting her cleaning equipment.

Brett was looking at what Miss Kate was doing when he suddenly heard a sharp inhaling sound. He turned to look at Eddy who no longer looked sleepy but instead had his eyes wide open.

"Eddy?"

Eddy didn't respond. He was fidgeting again but in a different way. It was like he was heaving but there was no air going in or coming out of his mouth. Brett sensed Eddy was in trouble but could not understand why he was so quiet. Brett raised his voice.

"Miss Kate!! I think Eddy is ... sick ??!"

Miss Kate turned around and noticed how pale Eddy was. His eyes were wide open and his lips slightly apart but he made no sound and he wasn't panting.. in fact, he wasn't breathing.

"Oh my god Eddy...!!!"

Miss Kate took some large steps towards Brett and Eddy. The way she suddenly charged at them frightened Brett as he saw Miss Kate grab Eddy's chair, made him stand up and lean forward.

"I'm sorry Eddy, but I have to do this."

Miss Kate opened up her hand and she struck the middle of Eddy's back with the palm of her hand. Once, twice..

The third time, something projected out of Eddy's mouth and smacked Brett's cheek.

Brett was in shock, then he started to cry.

Eddy heaved, then he started to cry.

Another carer came by noticing the commotion and was surprised to see the scene of two crying boys and a carer looking very stressed out.

"What happened Kate?"

"Oh my god.. Eddy was choking on something and was pale as a sheet... I managed to get it out."

"Yeah no kidding.... well done Kate, crying is good, he's definitely breathing now, he's definitely not pale now, just look how red his face is. Ooooh, sweetie, it's okay, you're alright now..."

The other carer picked up Eddy into her arms and gave him a cuddle.

Kate squatted down next to Brett.

"Brett, thank you so much for telling me about Eddy.. what's the matter ?"

Brett answered back between sobs..

"..Something.. hit.. me .. on .. my .. face.."

Kate looked down on the floor and she saw a large piece of mushroom that Eddy must have choked on.

24 years later

"Brett, man, I hate mushrooms. I was told I choked on one when I was little and couldn't eat them since."

"Eddy, really? I hate mushrooms too. I must have been attacked by one when I was little or something... They kinda scare me."

"Brett, that is so dumb."