59. Twoset Daycare III

It's been a few weeks since Eddy enrolled in daycare and he appeared to have settled in pretty well.  Having made a new friend on his first day certainly helped the shy little 4-year-old.

"Mama, hoodie, please."

"Eddy? It's quite warm today sweetie, I don't think you need a hoodie today."

"Noooooooo."

"What's the matter?"

"...Long sleeve, please?"

"You want to wear a long sleeve instead ?"

"Yes. And cap."

"Your daycare has an all indoor play area Eddy..?"

"Nooooo, cap, please."

"Okay sweetie, cap it is."

"Thank you, mama."

Eddy put his cap on his head and smiled.

Mrs Chen was about to drop off her son Eddy at daycare as Mrs Yang arrived with her 5-year-old son Brett.

Brett smiled and waved.

"Hi Eddy!."

Eddy gave a shy smile.

"Hi Brett."

Mrs Chen smiled at Brett.

"Oh my, Brett, you're dressed like how Eddy wanted to dress this morning... aren't you a bit hot though with your hoodie on?"

Mrs Yang looked at Mrs Chen.

As the two mothers kissed their sons goodbye and left the building, Mrs Yang called out to Mrs Chen.

"Mrs Chen, has your Eddy said anything that's been happening at daycare recently?"

Mrs Chen turned around and faced Mrs Yang.

"...What exactly do you mean ?"

"I'm sorry I don't have time to talk to you at the moment but may I call you around lunchtime today ?"

"Yes, of course."

They exchanged phone numbers, then parted.

"...Mrs Chen, I thought I needed to talk to you when I saw your Eddy with a long sleeve shirt and cap on."

"He was pretty persistent on wearing them... otherwise a hoodie."

"Yes... um... has your Eddy ever come home recently with any bruises?"

"No.. not that I've ever noticed.. Oh my goodness, has your Brett come home with bruises ?"

"...a few times.. Yes."

"Eddy did cry and say he didn't want to go to daycare a couple of days ago.. is this somewhat related ?"

"Well.. I'm not sure, but Brett told me that there is a new child who is a bit of a terror."

"Oh dear."

"Look, Mrs Chen, it seems like it was my Brett who told your Eddy to wear long sleeve and a cap.. or a hoodie so that this child can't scratch or pinch him on the arms or pull his hair."

"Oh my goodness."

"Brett also told me that they've decided on certain secret places in the play area where they can hide from this child. He was quite strategic... the hiding places must have 2 exit points so that when this child comes after them, they could escape the other way."

"Oh my. Wait a minute. Eddy has been saying "back to back" a lot. He's been practising shuffling around while standing back to back with his sister.. he keeps turning around on the spot to face his sister and she keeps telling him he's doing it all wrong....Does this have anything to do with what's been going on ?"

"... actually yes. Brett told me that's what they now do at playtime, him and Eddy, they stand back to back to keep an eye out for this child and when he approaches them, they shuffle around so that Brett faces this child."

"Oh my goodness.. has your Brett been protecting my Eddy from this child?"

"Well... I've been having a lot of chats with Brett about this and I've been telling him not to fight with this child. But I think it's time I speak to the director of the daycare centre because Brett telling this child to stop it I don't like it doesn't seem to work. He's been coming home with lots of bruises and scratches."

"Oh no, the poor child.. I'm so sorry, I had no idea...  Eddy is still learning how to talk in English and he's not the most informative speaker... I am so impressed with the amount of information your Brett has provided to you.... oh..Mrs Yang, I'm sorry, I just got another call on the line, may I call you back ?"

"Yes, of course, thank you for talking to me, bye for now."

"...Hello ?"

"Mrs Chen ? This is Morrisville Daycare Centre. Are you Eddy's mother?"

"Yes....?"

"Would you mind picking up Eddy from daycare, he may have injured his arm and it might be worth getting it checked at the hospital."

"Oh my god"

To be continued to Twoset Daycare IV...