99. Twoset Cleaner III

Eddy gasped into his phone when the police answered his call.

"Hello..?  There's... there's someone outside my unit... !! He's... he's tampering with my door!!...please come as soon as you can... please...!!!"

Eddy regretted not making a report to the police straight away as suggested by Brett. It would've been easier to explain things if he had done it while he was still somewhat calmer, before anything this terrifying happened. He hung up and hoped the police would arrive soon. Even if the person got away he didn't care, he would be happy with anything that would deter the perpetrator on the other side of his front door and be left alone.

"Sh*t... sh*t... I'm such an idiot...."

Eddy yelped when his phone vibrated. He dropped his phone on the living room carpet and scrambled to pick it up. He looked at the display and he bit his lip.

Oh sh*t

He tapped his phone to answer the call.

"...Brett..???"

"Hi Eddy, how are things?"

"I....."

"Eddy?"

"...Yeah...???"

"Eddy, are you okay? I was in the area and just wanted to give you a call to make sure you're okay."

Eddy tried to listen to any noises from outside his flat. He could not hear anything.

"Um..."

"Eddy? Did you want me to come over ?"

Eddy closed his eyes as he bit his lower lip.

"No..Brett, I'm okay... thanks for calling.. I .. I gotta go."

"Eddy?"

Eddy's hands trembled as he hung up on the call.

His phone rang again.

"What the...."

Eddy looked at his screen and this time he gave out a sigh of relief.

"...Belle?"

It was Eddy's older sister.

"Eddy!!"

"..Yes...?"

"Are you okay?"

Eddy gasped.

"Why are you asking !?"

"I'm sorry Eddy... has anything weird been happening to you lately?"

"OMG"

OMG OMG OMG

He closed his eyes, trying so hard not to start crying.

"Belle... did you recently break up with someone?"

"OMG Eddy!!!"

Eddy's lips quivered.

"OMG Belle... his.. name... this guy's name...it isn't ...Brett is it??"

"What? No, it's not."

Eddy snapped opened his eyes.

"He's...not...?"

"No... Eddy, it's a guy called John...I.. pretended I lived at your place and got him to drop me off over there after our first date about 2 weeks ago..."

Eddy let out a sigh of relief.

"....was this guy tall?"

"I'd say he's about your height.."

Eddy's voice hitched.

"Belle, I think he's outside my door."

"OMG don't open it !!! Call the police!!! "

"Belle, I won't and I already have. Look, can you please also call the police and explain what's been happening! I called them but I don't think they realise how scary this is...He's been stalking me for a week..."

"OMG I said I won't see him anymore and he snapped. He just texted me saying he's at my place and wants to know who the guy I live with is... I'm so sorry Eddy..I'll call the police now, hang in there okay!!??"

"Hey, Brett."

"Hi Eddy, how have you been ?"

"Oh, okay, how about you?"

Brett and Eddy exchanged their usual greetings as Brett entered Eddy's flat with his cleaning equipment.

"Brett.. may I talk to you for a bit?"

"Yes, Eddy?"

"I want to thank you for warning me about this whole thing. You noticed the door scope missing. You noticed what the bin was moved for. I regret not listening to you about reporting it to the police straight away. You were right all along.. about everything."

"OMG Eddy, I almost died when you called me to tell me about what had happened... I'm so sorry. What a horrible experience. Are you okay?"

"I was pretty freaked out... when my eye met that guy's through the door scope hole... I nearly sh*tted my pants. Then when he poked that metal rod through the door scope hole... I mean, he could've taken my eye out if it was when I peered through the hole. The guy ran off as the police arrived but they eventually caught him. My sister was very apologetic but in hindsight, I'm glad she did what she did. I would've hated it if the guy stalked Belle at her place."

Brett smiled.

"You're a good brother, Eddy."

Eddy shuffled uncomfortably.

"Brett, I also have to apologise to you."

"Hmm? What for?"

"For a moment, I actually doubted you. That's why I hung up on you."

"...What ?"

"Brett, I thought you were the stalker."

"OMG Eddy...!!"

"I know.. I'm sorry.. I don't know what had gotten into me..."

"Geez Eddy, I wouldn't have been tall enough to see through your bedroom window!"

"See, you'd worked out everything... so when I was all scared with that guy outside my door.. it must have been the fear messing with my brain.. I am so sorry.."

"...I can't believe this.."

"And you were nice enough to call me to see if I was okay and I hung up on you... I'm so sorry. When Belle called me and said the guy's name wasn't Brett.."

Brett let out gasp and an exasperated sigh. He started to pace away from Eddy.

"...you actually asked her if the guy's name was Brett!?"

"Brett.. I was so scared. I'm really sorry. I was so glad when she told me it wasn't a Brett."

Brett turned around sharply and looked at Eddy.

"...you were?"

"Of course I was. You've been coming here for 6 months. You seem like a nice guy. I mean, you are.. a really nice guy... I really don't know what had gotten into me. I am really, really sorry."

Brett walked back towards Eddy.

"Hey, it's okay. You could've just chosen not to even tell me all this. I appreciate your honesty."

Brett looked up towards Eddy and smiled.  Eddy gave out a sigh of relief as he smiled back.

"Brett, I wanted to be honest with you, it's the least I could do after doubting you like that.  And.. and I don't think it's right to start something without an honest foundation...."

Brett raised an eyebrow.

"Hmm?  What do you mean by starting something...?"

They both stood smiling at each other as they both sensed this was the beginning of something new and special.