69. Twoset Wizard

Brett was dumped by Kate.

"Look Brett, was that your name ? I only agreed to go out with you cos I lost on a dare. Otherwise, c'mon, why would I!?"

"Eddy..."

"Brett, what's the matter? Are you crying? Shhhhh... hey, it's okay, come here. It's okay, I'm here Brett... you're going to be okay..."

Brett was dumped by Darren.

"F*ck, Brett, you're not worth it if you can't just do what I tell you."

"Eddy..."

"Brett..? Oh my god, let me get some ice for you for that eye. What happened? Here... oh I'm sorry, I don't want to hurt you.. here, is that better? Shhhhh.. it's okay, you're safe with me now.. OMG did he do that to your wrists?? Oh Brett..."

Brett let out a yelp.

"Brett..??"

Eddy looked up from his laptop and looked across the table where his boyfriend sat with his laptop in front of him. Brett had his eyes fixated on his screen and looked distressed.

"Brett! Oh my god are you alright ?"

"...Eddy, I think I'm a wizard."

Eddy stared at his boyfriend. It was highly unusual and unlike Brett to talk about supernatural abilities.

"Brett?? What makes you say that?"

"You're not gonna laugh?"

Eddy smiled from across the large table.

"Well.. I'm not laughing yet, am I?"

"I don't want you to laugh but hear me out."

Eddy got out of his chair and stepped over to where Brett was sitting on the opposite side of the table. He pulled over another chair for himself and sat next to him.

"You sound serious Brett. Sure. I won't laugh at you if you are serious, I promise, Brett."

"Okay... so, Eddy, remember 4 years ago when Kate dumped me?"

Eddy frowned.

"Yes. Yes I do. What a b*tch she was. She so didn't deserve you."

"I was angry with her because she only agreed to go on a date with me as a dare with her friends."

"Yeah, that pissed me off too."

"Eddy... so I was so pissed that I imagined sending this big blob of negative energy go her way."

Eddy raised an eyebrow.

"O..kay...?"

"Then shortly after, I found out she was diagnosed with a serious illness."

Eddy raised his other eyebrow.

"O..kay.. and you Brett, think you are somehow responsible for that...? Because you sent her... um bad.. vibes ??"

"...You're not gonna laugh?"

"No Brett. I'm not."

"Good, because that's not all."

"It's not ?"

"No, remember a couple of years later, Darren dumped me."

"Oh f*ck, how could I forget that assh*le. He was some nasty piece of sh*t."

"Eddy..?"

Eddy was grimacing.

"...He hurt you so much Brett.."

"Yeah.. and I was so mad at myself because I thought I wasn't good enough for him which is why I thought he beat me up and left me..."

"OMG Brett, you know that's not true, don't you??"

"Of course.. I know now.. but back then I was so messed up. It took a while to recover and realise what really went on...then when it finally clicked, I was really mad again."

"Well, I can't blame you Brett.. I remember being really pissed too."

"I know.. I think you were more pissed than I was... But eventually, I was able to express my anger... but..."

"But..?"

"I knew I shouldn't have.. but I was so angry, Eddy... I.. I couldn't help myself..."

Eddy raised an eyebrow.

"Yes...? What, Brett, what is it ? What have you done?"

Eddy's eyes widened with concern.

"...I couldn't help myself... I knew I shouldn't have, when I clearly had an inkling.. well, I did initially think it was a coincidence, but...

"...Brett..???"

"I... did what I did to Kate... I sent Darren.. that negative energy ball I summoned..."

Eddy discreetly gave out a sigh of relief.

"Okay...."

Brett suddenly looked up. His voice shook.

"And now, Eddy, I just found out.. a year later... through one of his mates that Darren had since fallen very ill.."

"Oh.."

"Yeah.. I just found out he became ill around the time I expressed my anger towards him."

"O..kay..."

"Eddy, I'm scared."

"Hey it's okay..."

Eddy gave Brett a hug.

"Brett... I don't think you're a wizard..."

"You don't ??"

"No.. I think they're just coincidences."

"But Eddy... Eddy, they both ended up with the same illness...!!"

"Wow.... Um... Brett..."

"Yeah?"

"Do you what to know what I think?"

Brett looked up into Eddy's eyes.

"Yes. You're the smart one, Eddy, I want to know what you think."

Eddy chuckled.

"Thanks for the confidence but I don't totally agree with that. Anyway, I think it's just karma. Kate and Darren just got back what they dished out."

"....You think so??"

"Yes, I do."

"So you don't think I've cursed them or involuntarily cast a spell on them?"

Eddy smiled.

"No... I honestly don't think so. If anything, perhaps you are good at channelling karma and throwing it back at them."

"Channelling.."

"Yes.. at most, I think that's what you've done. But I don't think that constitutes wizardry. So I don't think you should worry that you've used any supernatural powers, Brett."

Brett looked as if a large weight was removed from his shoulders.  The relief he must be feeling was clearly visible.

"Okay.. thank you, Eddy..."

"You're welcome.  Hey, wanna coffee?"

"..Yes please. Thanks..."

"Okay.. I'll be right back, okay?"

Eddy pecked Brett on his cheek then untangled himself from his embrace with Brett and walked into their kitchen.

Once he was certain he was out of Brett's view, Eddy quietly snapped his fingers and growled something inaudible to humans.

No, Brett, I didn't curse them.. they deserved it in my opinion but I know you're too nice and you wouldn't appreciate it....  So all I did was send back what they dished out as karma, darling...