135. Twoset Veterinarian VI (Blink for benevolence 2)

A/N: This is the second chapter of a short story (4 chapters) within the setting of Twoset Veterinarian.  Please start reading from Twoset Veterinarian V.

---------------------------------

Eddy got up from his chair.

"Where are you going, Eddy?"

"You said you're hungry. I'm making you breakfast before you eat me. I'll make you a tuna sandwich. No cheese, no mayo and reduced salt, okay?"

---------------------------------

"Brett..."

"Yes?"

"You're a cat for f*ck sake."

"Yes Eddy Einstein, thank you for letting me know."

"So then why the f*ck are you wearing a pair of shorts?"

"I'm not going to walk around showing intricate details of my butt to the world to see."

"Oh my god"

"Besides, Pag came up to me and sniffed me. I didn't like that very much at all."

"OMG... is he.. that way, too!?!?"

Brett rolled his eyes.

"...F*ck, Eddy, please, STOP!!"

"S, sorry..."

"And I have to work. I have a deadline for an article. I'm not gonna sit directly on my chair without anything in between. That's gross and uncomfortable."

Eddy shook his head.

"Okay, okay, I get it. But hang on, work ?! How are you gonna work?!"

Brett went over to his laptop on the coffee table. He lifted his right front paw and protracted (showed) his claws and used what equated to his index finger claw to turn on his laptop. He turned around towards Eddy.

"Eddy, I think I can still type if I use my claws."

"F*ck those things are sharp. I'll have to trim them for you before you damage any furniture."

Brett padded back to Eddy.

"You're gonna trim these? With what?"

Brett held up his paw in front of Eddy's face and protracted his claws again. Eddy looked as if he was going to pass out. Brett felt bad scaring Eddy and quickly retracted them.

"Eddy, okay.. maybe I could file them down myself. Do we have one of those metal hand files in our toolbox? Can you leave it out for me? I'll try to do it myself."

Eddy got up from his breakfast bar stool, dashed off to the cupboard, rummaged through the toolbox, and returned with the metallic hand file.  He placed it on the dining table.

"I... I'll just leave this here.. okay?"

"Okay Brett, I'm about to head out to work.. I made you another tuna sandwich you can have for lunch... I also filled out a couple of glasses of water for you because you said the taps are hard to manipulate, but you can always use the bathroom tap if you're desperate because that one's a lever, okay?"

"Okay Thank you, Eddy."

"Um.. just be gentle with Pag and Nini okay? Most likely they won't come near you.."

"Well Pag did.. he came over and sniffed my ass, remember?"

"He's so fearless and has great taste, just like his Daddy.. "

Brett cringed.

"OMG Eddy, please stop talking like that...!!"

Pag was Eddy's favourite cat.

"I, I'm sorry..!!"

"Oh my god Eddy, please, I'm still Brett, will ya stop being so scared of me"

"I'm just worried your natural instincts might kick in by some kind of trigger. I think it's best you minimise contact with any animals including Pag and Nini.. and also not watch any nature shows on TV."

"Okay, okay, I got it already. I'll be too busy writing to meet my deadline anyway, don't worry."

"So just a reminder, no coffees. And no chocolates either."

"Oh c'mon Eddy! No chocolate as well!?!?"

"Caffeine is toxic for cats. So no coffee, tea and chocolate. Also, salt is really bad for you so nothing salty. I've put all the stuff you shouldn't be eating on the top cupboard shelf and left a note on the fridge of all the stuff in it that you can't eat, things like cheese, milk, stuff that has garlic in it.."

"Oh my god.. don't worry, I'm only going to eat the sandwich you made for me, okay?"

"Okay... good. That's probably the safest till we get better at working this out. So.. I'll see you later..?"

"Yeah."

"Yeah."

Eddy hesitated for a moment but gingerly moved in close to Brett's face and rubbed noses together, like he often did with Pag, then left.

Eddy sighed.

"Eddy?"

"...Angus?"

"Eddy.. you're stitching her up? "

"Oh.."

Eddy was completely distracted from the task at hand. He was meant to suture the dog they had just operated on.

"Eddy? You seem a bit off today. Would you like me to finish up here for you?"

Eddy looked up across the operating table towards his senior colleague.

"Y, yes, please. I'm sorry Angus..."

"Hey no problem, we all have off days. I can finish up here, you can go and take an early break."

Eddy left the operation room and sat on the bench in the corridor.

"Eddy? Are you okay?"

Eddy looked up. It was their receptionist and vet nurse, Edwina.

"Edwina.. Yeah I'm fine. Just a bit tired. Angus is finishing things up for me while I take a bit of a break."

"Okay.. I'll leave you to it."

"Um, Edwina?"

"Yes?"

"I'm caring for a large, very grumpy cat at home.. any suggestions?"

"Hmm..."

Edwina went into the reception area where they had a few items for pets for sale. They were mostly products for cats and dogs. She returned with a few things in her hand.

Eddy dismissed the ball and the playstick that had a feather on a string on its end, he didn't want to try to play any chase and hunt type games with Brett in case it triggered his natural instincts. He was curious as to whether Brett might enjoy the catnip but decided to dismiss that too as Eddy was also concerned Brett may misbehave under the influence. But when Edwina showed him the largest pet brush in their stock, he knew this was the item he should get so he asked Edwina to invoice it to him, then thanked her and went out across the road to get himself a coffee.