43. Twoset Daddy III

A/N: This is a sequel to Twoset Daddy (Chapter 6 ) and Twoset Daddy II (Chapter 17 ). I initially thought I'd put it into a separate book but now I've decided to let trilogies stay here. (If the housekeeping gets too messy I might change it later...)

---------------------------------------

35 year old Brett visited his father Eddy to say that he and his wife Kate had separated. Eddy exploded and asks why – he suspected there is more to the story than what his son told him.

"I swear Dad, I swear we just fell out of love, there is no one else."

Eddy was still fuming and pacing around his living room.

"Brett, son, if one day I find out that you had lied to me... I don't know what I would do. It would probably almost kill me to know now, but I'd rather have it that way. Please, I ask you for the last time, tell me the truth."

"Dad !! I wouldn't do that. I couldn't. Not after knowing about you and mum."

Eddy stopped in his tracks and looked at Brett in shock.

"Brett, when did you find out...?"

"I pieced it together when I was about 14 or 15. We learn stuff in PDHPE, sex ed. I did the maths. C'mon, my mother giving birth to my half-brother Brad, 6 months after she left us...."

Eddy ran his hand through his grey hair.

"Oh no, I'm so sorry you had to deal with that on your own... why didn't you come and talk to me about it when you found out?"

"Because when I did the maths, I had flashbacks of you throwing up when I told you mum was pregnant with my half-brother. At the time, I didn't know you were reacting to the name she chose for him. I naively thought you had just done the maths in your head and came to the realisation. But you darted off to the bathroom to barf, then came back so calm, for my sake. I understood how strong you'd have to be for your child. Actually, I was frightened of how strong you have to be for your child. Which was probably why I kept putting off starting a family for so long. I didn't think I had it in me to be as strong as you."

"You can be, if it's for your own child, Brett. Like you are for little Brettany. You just couldn't bear it if she got hurt because you couldn't be strong for her, right?"

"Yeah..so Dad, you gotta believe me, I would never cheat in a relationship. It would undermine the fundamental principles of being a decent human, what you have taught me all my life! Please, you have got to believe me. I am not leaving Kate for someone else. I've just fallen out of love with her. And she has from me."

Eddy pondered on Brett's words for a while. He then spoke in a very gentle voice.

"...I so wanted you to have a happy marriage."

Brett smiled.

"I know Dad. You were ridiculous. It's usually the bride's dad that cries at weddings."

Eddy glanced towards his son.

"I thought you two were happy together."

"Yes we were, very happy. But I suppose things change."

"What about little Brittany?"

"We both love her. We will still raise her together. We'll work something out."

"Brett...son,  can you tell me with absolute certainty to me, or better still, to Brittany when she grows up, when she asks you, that have you done absolutely everything you could think of, to salvage your marriage with her mum?"

"Dad..."

"Because that's what got me. I felt like I didn't get to try everything.. your mother wouldn't go to counselling.. well actually she did, but she could not bring herself to tell me the truth about a lot of things..."

"...Like she was already pregnant from another guy while you guys were still married?"

"...Yeah, that kinda stuff... I found out the day she moved out."

"OMG.. Dad, I'm so sorry..."

"Look, this isn't about me, it's about Brittany. If you can't tell your daughter that you tried everything to save your relationship with her mother, it's going to break you when she asks."

"Did I ever ask you?"

"Yes. And it's the only time I ever lied to you. I am so sorry Brett."

"Oh my god, Dad, please stop hurting yourself with all this guilt, honestly, it's okay. You've done such a great job being my dad."

Brett looked straight into his Dad's eyes.

"Yes Dad. I can honestly tell you that neither of us wanted to fall out of love with each other. We tried so hard. We went to counselling, did all the couple quality time stuff, holidays... we tried everything. But it was no use. It was like... I dunno, I care about her, I don't hate her or anything...but it's just that I can't love her anymore."

"How is Kate taking this?"

"She is sad. But she knows too. She wants another baby. But after 2 years of IVF including the time for having Brettany, she realised she doesn't necessarily want the baby with me. The feelings are mutual. It would be wrong to keep going. I can't bring a new life into this relationship. It would be wrong."

"Yes it would be wrong"

"And Dad, y'know, I am ...glad we hadn't been successful having another baby yet.. our... infertility... it turned out to be our biggest blessing ..Dad..."

Brett couldn't hold it in anymore. He shook his head as tears fell. Eddy quickly stepped towards his son and hugged him.

"It's okay Brett, you were so brave telling me. You have a heart of gold and I'm so proud of you for making this very difficult decision"

Brett cried aloud in his father's arms, the last time he cried like this may have been almost 25 years ago.

Eddy softly whispered between Brett's sobs as he kissed his son's head.

"It's okay Brett.. Daddy loves you, you're going to be okay..."

"Oh my god Dad.. I'm a 35 year old man, y'know."

"I know son. But it doesn't matter, you're still my boy. You always will be."

"I love you Dad."

"I know you do, but thanks son."