Mewnipendence Day

(BuffFrog POV)

Buff Frog, a frogman from the swamps of the Forest of Certain Death. He'd been working for Ludo for almost a year now, and was tasked with keeping an eye on Aster. He'd been observing his every move on Earth ever since LobsterClaw turned traitor.

And today, he had would pay special attention. Today was the anniversary of the Monster Massacre, or as the Mewmans called it, Mewnipendence day. It was a day of grieving for all monster kind. A day they'd never forget.

And here was Aster, celebrating it...
||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~
To celebrate MewniPendence, Aster had gathered up all kinds of allies and friends to throw a little party in Marco's backyard. What better way to bond? This party included

LobsterClaw, Alfonso, Ferguson, Lightning & Thunder, Pixie Queen, Janna, Justin, Ivory, Aster, Marco, and Sensei.

Olga was invited but declined because she 'had better things to do.'

Alfonso and Ferguson were initially going to decline because the last time they hung out with Aster, they got enslaved in another dimension. But Marco promised it would be different.

LobsterClaw agreed because Aster promised to give him more freedom. Janna and the MewMans were excited for it. Justin was scared to say no. And the Pixie Queen had no choice.

"Alright, everyone! Quiet down! I assume you all brought your swords?" - A

"I can't hold a sword." - LC

"Why would we have swords?" - Justin

"Why wouldn't we have swords?" - Janna

She showed hers off.

"I agree with the blue haired girl." - Lightning

"I couldn't read the invite..." - Ferguson

"It was written in Mewnish and English. Did you not check the back?" - A

He looked at the invite again.

"Ohhhh..." - F

Aster sighed.

"What exactly is Mewnipendence celebrating again?" - Marco

"Ivory, the book." - A

Ivory handed him a book. Aster opened it up, showing that it was a pop up book. He began to explain.

"A long time ago, the first settlers of Mewni arrived on a strange new land and claimed it as their own. A modest people with noble pursuits. They brought life, liberty, and corn. But the wicked monsters rose up and attacked the innocent Mewmans to retake the land!" - A

Some of the humans looked at LobsterClaw, who felt uncomfortable.

"So the queen used her magic to turn the peasants into a fearsome army. And the MewMans won! Now, we'll be reenacting the Great Monster Massacre and then eat. Please split into two teams." - A

Team Monster: LobsterClaw, Alfonso, Ferguson, Lightning & Thunder, and Pixie Queen

Team MewMan: Janna, Justin, Ivory, Aster, Marco, and Sensei

Once that was decided, Star helped them all get costumes. The MewMans got big armor with weapons, and gave the monsters basic monster costumes.

Once he was done, Marco came over to him.

"Hey, Aster? I've been looking through your book and something is...kinda off..." - M

He showed him the book, which showed an arm of monsters fighting against Mewmans. Mewmans with armor...and weapons...and magic...against monsters with no magic, and little to no weapons...

"Oh..." - A

"Yeah, it seems...unfair." - M

Aster stared at the book, in deep thought.

"Uh, let's just play. And we can talk about it later..." - A

He was a little shaken but tried not to let it get to him. The two teams began to pretend to fight, with the monster side mostly just running and screaming. Aster watched with a complex expression.

He used to enjoy this holiday. But now...he didn't know what to think. When was the last time monsters had won during a reenactment? Or even at an actual war? He couldn't come up with a single example. It had just been constant losses on their end...

He put down his wand. He stared at the scrap book, seeing imagery of the MewMans burning down the forests and homes of monsters...

Was everything he'd been told about monsters a lie?...
||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~
(Buff Frog POV)

There it is! A moment of opportunity! Buff Frog was certain Ludo was watching. He could not fail.

He discreetly snuck up to Aster, and started to reach for the wand. Finally, vengeance for his family! For his people!

It was finally within his grasp!...

And then Marco kicked him away.
||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~
"Marco?" - A

He looked confused before realizing what was happening. A monster had been reaching for his wand. Lightning and Thunder were ready to attack, and even go for the kill if necessary. They were already distrusting of LobsterClaw, so killing an unknown monster was something they were fine with. But Aster made a surprising choice.

"Wait!" - A

He said as he used magic to get him over to Buff Frog's location quicker. Buff Frog groaned before quickly getting up and shoving Aster away. Aster instinctively raised his wand, thinking the monsters was going to attack him.

But then he saw it. The fear in Buff Frog's eyes...and...he couldn't do it.

He lowered the wand, letting Buff Frog escape.

"Are you okay?" - M

"I'm...fine." - A

He said, staring at his wand.

"Let's just go eat. I think that's enough MewniPendence for today..." - A
||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~
Ludo was furious with Buff Frog. Another failure. The wand was right there! It was inches from his hand!

But no matter how he pleaded, Ludo wouldn't listen. And with Toffee whispering in his ear, Ludo finally kicked him out. He was fired. Banished to Earth, with no place to call home anymore...

All he was left with was a mission. To protect his people...

So he returned to Marco's house and kept watching from a distance. He no longer had someone to report to. But...at least he would have something to do
||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~
Aster listened to everyone around him eating their corn. They were happy. But Aster couldn't get rid of the bad feeling in his stomach. It was guilt...had his ancestors really been the heroes his mom told him about? He didn't know anymore...

So rather than eat the corn his people loved so much, he took the plate and left it outside, near the edge of the woods. Maybe, just maybe, that frog monster could enjoy it...
||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~
(Buff Frog POV)

Buff Frog watched as Aster returned back into the house. Why would he leave food outside? What was his angle?

He slowly approached the plate, finding the smell...enticing.

It could be poison. It could be cursed!...

But...did it matter? What else did he have to lose?

He stared at the corn and eventually picked it up, taking a bite. He paused for a moment before speaking.

"...it's...good..." - BF