Storm the Castle - Part 1: The Oath

The last couple of days had been...rough, to say the least. Ludo's monsters had been attacking relentlessly. They were now at a point where they were fighting 2-3 monsters a day.

Not only was it a huge safety risk for the people of Echo Creek, but also causing a big strain in Marco's and Aster's relationship.

They had just gotten back to Marco's house after another brutal fight, both covered in bruises.

"You should learn how to be more careful!" - M

"Hey! I was thinking of the end goal! If I didn't slam that car into the monster, it would've caused more damage!" - A

"But that's the thing! It's someone's car! They paid for that! Cars are expensive!" - M

"Ughh, then I'll fix it magic!" - A

"You can't always rely on magic for every little thing!" - M

"God, I hate it when your like this! Makes me wonder why we're even friends..." - A

Marco looked hurt for a moment before yelling back.

"Then maybe you should just leave." - M

He slammed the front door, both literally and figuratively shutting him out. Aster looked hurt too before his expression turned to one of anger.

"Fine...maybe I will." - A

He left, going back to his room. He spent a few hours tinkering with the automaton parts, figuring out how they worked and how to improve them. But he'd occasionally start to think about Marco. They were best friends...he didn't want that to end...

So, he decided to push aside his pride and visit Marco at sunset. He began to knock on his bedroom door.

"Hey, Marco...I know you're probably really mad at me, I would be too...but I wanted to say...I'm sorry. You're right, I should've been more careful. But I just didn't want to risk you getting hurt. You mean a lot to me...can we still be friends?" - A

He asked, looking hopeful until the door opened on its own. He looked confused as he went inside. Marco was just sitting on the bed.

"Marco?..." - A

He asked as he touched his shoulder. Marco began to float upwards, his legs just...gone.

"What...the...fuck..." - A

He said as the head turned around, revealing itself to be a fly monster. Aster looked shocked before his face turned into anger. He pointed his wand right at the fly monster.

"Where's Marco?" - A

He said with the most serious tone he'd probably ever used.

"If you ever want to see the boy alive again, bring the wand to Ludo's castle! By tonight! Come alone." - Fly

The fly then laughed as he then flew out of the window, leaving only Marco's hoodie behind. Aster picked it up. This was...bad.

If they had Marco hostage, then they could force him to surrender the wand.

He swore an oath to his mother! To his kingdom! To his people! Handing it over could mean risking all of Mewni, and possibly more.

But...

...Marco...

He looked at a picture on Marco's nightstand that was illuminated by the last rays of sunshine. It was him, Marco, and Marco's parents.

And in that moment, he made up his mind. He knew what had to be done.
||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~
He'd reached the outskirts of the wasteland around Ludo's castle sometime around midnight. He was going to get his wand back. On his way there, he noticed both Ludo and BuffFrog talking near a Boulder with a bag.

Aster immediately blasted both of them. Not enough to actually injure them, but enough to stun them. He opened the bag, hoping it was Marco. But instead it was...

"Tadpoles?" - A

He looked confused. But BuffFrog looked surprised, joyful even.

"Tadpoles!" - BF

Aster let Buff Frog take the bag as he approached Ludo, his wand aimed right at his head, glowing with an ominous red light.

"Where's Marco?" - A

"I don't even know who that is!" - L

"He means karate boy." - BF

He said, trying to repay the favor for sparing him and giving him the food. He didn't fully trust Aster. But he wanted to.

"I don't have him!" - L

"Then why did you call me to your castle?" - A

"It's not his castle anymore." - BF

"Yeah, Toffee kicked me out!" - L

"Toffee? What kind of name is that?" - A

He said with confusion before getting distracted by Buff Frog hugging and playing with the tadpoles.

"What? Ludo gave me babies." - BF

"...see you later." - A

He began to leave, heading towards the castle. He didn't care that Ludo was following him.

Ludo tried to convince him that Aster needed him. That he needed a 'guide' and the 'element of surprise'. Which he refused. But then Buff Frog offered to help.

"I will guide you." - BF

He put the rad poles in a fountain, which he was now carrying on his back.

"Why?" - A

He didn't trust Buff Frog either, but he distrusted Ludo even more.

"I am father now. I want my children to grow up in castle. You don't have to trust me. But consider alternative." - BF

He pointed at Ludo. Aster considered it and agreed. Buff Frog tore the door off of the castle, allowing them to have a pretty quiet entrance in comparison to Aster blowing it apart.

"I will warn you. Toffee is not like Ludo. He is smart. He knows about you. He does not like your magic." - BF

"He doesn't have to." - A

When he got inside, he immediately began to destroy everything in his path. The doors, the walls, everything. He also didn't hold back against the monsters anymore.

They hurt Marco.

He wouldn't kill them, for now. But he would kill this Toffee guy. Buff Frog would handle Marco's usual role, and Ludo...would hide and be a coward.

He finally reached the room where they were holding Marco. The dining room. It was full of monsters, with Toffee, a septarian, sitting at the head and having his dinner. Marco was on the side, trapped in some kind of glass box.

Aster immediately charged in, blasting at any monsters that came near and aiming right for Toffee at any opportunity he got. But a monster always got in his way.

So he instead focused on destroying Marco's cage. But his attacks...didn't work?

They didn't even crack the cage. Marco was shouting inside the box but Aster couldn't hear him. He just kept shrinking the monsters down to chibi size and sending them to his Secrets Closet. No way they'd escape.

Eventually, he'd had enough. His cheeks began to glow as he silently began to cast spells. A magic wall formed around Aster, preventing any monsters from getting near.

He then aimed his wand right at the barrier, letting it charge with as much magic energy as he had left.

This had to work. There was no alternative. And with all the rage and love he had, he blasted the box into shards. Everyone left in the room looked...shocked. Even Aster.

He didn't know he was capable of silent casting. But right now, that wasn't important.

"Marco!" - A

He ran at him.

"Aster!" - M

He went to reach for Aster, but the glass regenerated, trapping him inside again.

Could he really not free Marco?