Chapter 22

"Nandini when did you came" he asked me.

"In afternoon" I answered; he nodded and walked upstairs without stretching the conversation further. It wasn't the way he would meet me, he would kiss my head after coming back from his work and I used to wait for him to come back but today he didn't even touch me forget about kissing my head. This marriage has changed many things including his and my relationship.

"See I told you, he is not the same jolly man anymore" my mother said, I was waiting for him to come down.

I kept staring at his face when he entered; I reeled through the bittersweet memories of my life. He silently took his place and started eating, I served him. He ate silently without asking me if I had my food or not. He avoided eye contact and finished his food as soon as he could; he drank a glass of water and walked towards his room.

"Nandini, I think you should talk to him" my mother said and I nodded in assurance, I moved towards his room, I didn't know what was I going to say but it was important for me to talk to him.

"Appa what happened?" I entered inside, he was lying on the bed, he straightened himself when he saw me.

"Nothing" He replied quietly, his face was expressionless. It almost felt like I was meeting a stranger not my father.

"I can see that, it doesn't seem like that nothing has happened". He was trying to avoid confrontation and I was growing nervous at his calm demeanor.

"Seriously it's nothing" He sat straight and rubbed his eyes and temple too. I sat beside him on the bed.

"Mom has already told me everything. Talk to me Appa"

"I told her not to" My heart clenched when I saw the look of hurt and pain on his face.

"Appa you were always my best friend and if I can share my pain with you then why not you" He said, I wish if I knew what was going in his mind, I wish if I could help him out and take his pain away.

"I don't know what to say" I wrapped my arms around him and he pulled away, his eyes were full of tears. Last time when I saw him crying it was the day everything changed and the marriage took place.

"I feel guilty, I feel really really guilty and it is eating me from inside. Nandini people will think that I allowed you to do it because you are not my own blood but you are much much more than that, you are part of my soul. That time my mind wasn't working, I was completely blank and I was clueless but trust me I swear to you, I love you in the same way I love Aliya and Rishab and there is no difference between you and them" He confessed and I always knew that I was the apple of his eyes and he loved me the most, our relationship was never about giving birth and blood, he doesn't own the blood flowing through my veins but owns my heart beat and my soul.

"Appa when did I said that you don't love me and I don't care about people besides you never forced me for anything, it was my decision" Something shifted inside me when his voice fell in my ears. I always had his back in all the up and downs of my life. He was the only helping hand I have received, I wish if I could tell him something which would pull him out of this guilt.

"Still I should stop you, I shouldn't have let you do this but I was too down to take the decision. You sacrificed everything you had for me and I allowed you, I feel like a failure" A father teaches his daughter many lessons especially about true love and I should be treated. I remember being tucked in bed at night and that good night kiss on my forehead. I remember the times he played with both of us, every piggy back ride and backyard game. I remember every time he selflessly did thing for me and never wanted anything in return. He has never failed himself as a father; I can never have anyone better than him. I want him to be on this place in next and all the births I'm going to take. His love was truly not enough, he is anything but a failure, he was my hero, he is my hero and he always will be the same hero. No matter people would think and say, I would never care about anything over him.