Chapter 38(a)

"Aman, informed everyone in the office that I have granted them two days leave Saturday and Monday"

"Okay, Sir I will sir and I want to know about Nandini Ma'am, how is she?"

"I haven't met her yet, I reached Mumbai late in the evening so they didn't allow me to meet Nandini." I was about to continue but couldn't, the door opened wider and Mukti stepped in, her eyes sparkling with anger.

"Bhai why you didn't tell me about Nandini?" She questioned.

"Aman, I will talk to you later" I hang up on Aman and turned towards her.

"How do you know?" I asked, a little confused.

"See this" She thumped the newspaper in my hand and read its front page, carefully.

"Mrs. Nandini Manik Malhotra wife of business tycoon Manik Malhotra caught up in smuggling drugs"

Mumbai Police confirmed a "small quantities of drugs were found by them in Malhotra Industries's main office at the Street 8 on 2 September.

Officers seized the drugs and when they were about to call Mr. Manik Malhotra his wife stopped them. She gave her confession that the packet belongs to her and her husband has nothing to do with the packet. First police didn't believe her words but when she insisted they did and arrested her. Now Mrs. Nandini Malhotra is in prison we tried to ask police about the case but they refused to tell us about the case. All we know that she will be presented in court on Monday morning.

I couldn't continue reading the crap they have written for her. I tore the newspaper into pieces.

"This is bullshit" I hissed under my breath, My palms tingled — I wanted so badly to hit something. I bit my lip and clasped my hands together, interlocking my fingers, so I couldn't do anything rash.

"But Bhai how did it happen"

"I don't know I wasn't there when it happened. I have no clue about it."

"Do you have any doubt on someone?"

"I don't know Mukti, my mind isn't working, Nandini, is all I can think about. She is in trouble because of me."

"Bhai I want to meet her" I couldn't reply, talking about her was making me feel depressed.

"No you can't at least not before Monday"

"Calm down Bhai it will be okay"

"How? I don't know what to do in this situation. I feel helpless"

"Bhai we can go to the office, we have cameras installed everywhere. We can ask the security and we can try to find the real culprit." I was about to reply but I couldn't, the buzzing of my phone stopped me from answering back. Disappointment flooded through me as I stared at the screen vacantly.

"Who is it?" Mukti questioned.

"Yash uncle" I answered.

"Put it on speaker" I hesitated for some reason which was unknown to me.

I gathered enough courage and pressed the green button and then I put the phone on speaker.

"Manik, I read the newspaper just now, what happen to Nandini" He said, his voice echoing in the room.

"Uncle I don't know how did it happen but I'm sorry about it"

"Manik, she took your blame on her head." He accused, I paused for a moment, hating the wave of guilt that swept through me.