Chapter 45

Back to present

 "Mrs Nandini Malhotra it is your turn, Dr. Navya is calling you inside her cabin." Nurse informed me and I rose from my seat. I pushed the door ajar and entered in her cabin. Navya greeted me with a smile, I smiled back at her. She gestured me to take a seat and I occupied the chair placed right in front of hers.

"Nandini, I studied your reports carefully." She notified.

"Is everything alright Navya?" I asked, she uncomfortably shifted on her chair. She flipped through my reports and I watched her with bated breath.

"Nandini, where is Manik?" She interrogate, her face set into a grim expression.

"Actually Manik had some important work in his office that's why I came alone." She opened her mouth to say something but after hearing about Manik she didn't get any further.

"Tell him to talk to me."

"Dr. what's wrong? You can tell me." Tightly, I clamped down on the surge of fear that had risen in my chest.

"No it's nothing" She sounded uncomfortable when she replied. I could tell she didn't want to answer.

"No there is something Navya, don't lie to me. You are not only my doctor, we are friends right. So don't keep things away from me."

"Nandini I don't...I" Her voice changed, it was much more alert when she spoke again.

"Navya is everything alright?" I could feel something, panic maybe, building up in my chest. Along with the fear, I was beginning to feel impatience.

"No, actually the thing is you can't keep the child." I opened my mouth to say something, and then closed it again. My whole body went numb. I couldn't feel anything below the neck. I could feel the water pooling up against my cheek.

"Nandini, you are weak, your womb is not strong enough to bear a child and there are other problems as well. So I don't actually suggest you to go for it."

"But Navya I can take care of myself. I will eat on time. You can prescribe me vitamins or whatever I nutrition I don't have in my body. There are so many ways." I swallowed, trying to dislodge the sudden lump in my throat.

"Nandini, actually it's not about your physical body. It's about your womb, your womb is weak and this is going to be a very difficult pregnancy for you there could be a lot of complications. We cannot go for the normal delivery Nandini it will be really difficult and painful for you and operation can put your life in danger. Through operation we can save the child but not you. You have completed 9 weeks and we still have some time left you should go for the abortion." She watched with persistence as I slowly grasped the meaning of his words. My knees began to shake; I could hear the blood pounding faster than normal behind my ears.

"Navya please I can't do it. Please think about something else." My voice was just a whisper now; awareness was beginning to seep through me, trickling like acid through my veins.

"Nandini, I have done everything, I even discussed your case with my seniors but no there is no other way. I'm sorry Nandini but there is nothing we can do about it."

"Navya please try to understand." I tried to elucidate it sounded like there was something stuck in my throat, like I was choking. My voice was blank with disbelief.

"Nandini, relax, discuss it with your family and Manik. Give it sometime; think about it properly, you still have a week left. Once your condition is stable we can take the decision." I tried to part my lips and answer but I couldn't form a word so I walked out without a reply. Throughout the drive, I tried not to think about her words and keep me away from it. I stepped out of the car when I reached. I climbed the stairs absentmindedly. I rushed to my room, shutting and locking the door behind me