Chapter 23

"Umm.. Nandini I want to tell you something" Manik said after sitting in car, we were about to leave for my house.

"Hmm, I'm listening" I answered.

"The thing is that I never had dinner with my family so I don't know anything about it" He was fumbling with his words, and I was quite surprise to know that he never dine with his family and it was bothering him.

"You never had dinner with your family?" I asked.

"No we had it but that time I was a child and I had it with my business partners, clients and friends but family dinner no I never had it, so I don't know what to say"

"I feel nervous whenever I'm around someone's family especially parents" I didn't know what was he thinking and what was going in his mind. As usual I was completely clueless about his state but the new version of this devil was something hard for me to digest. For first the time after our marriage, he has shared something about himself with me. Now I know one thing about him that he feels nervous whenever he is around someone's family especially parents and for a surprise he actually told me about his issue.

"I will make you feel comfortable" I comforted him, he started the car.

"Okay" He muttered and I nodded. He didn't say a word, he drove silently and I don't put efforts in making a conversation. He's so unreadable. I stared out of the window and he continued to drive.

When we reached we climbed out of the car. I slapped his hand when he wrapped it around my waist.

"What?" I thought we were supposed to pretend like a couple" he said while removing his hand from my waist.

"We accepted this marriage but we are not in love with each other yet and don't overreact" He ruffled his hair through his fingers and shook his head. This new version of this devil I don't know how to deal with him. He's full of surprises.

When we entered inside, Mom wrapped her arms around me and I hugged her back.

"Thank you for coming Manik" She greeted Manik after acknowledging his presence. He shook his head and blinked his eyes even the formal greeting were too much for him handle. He looked uncomfortable and baffled.

"Nandini Manik come sit here" Mom gestured towards the sofa; we moved towards the hall and occupied our seats.

Manik's p.o.v.

"How are you Manik" her mother asked, her tone was soft.

"I'm fine Aunty" I replied.

"Manik I'm not your aunty anymore, I'm your mother in law call me mom" she said, that was the worst possible thing she could have said to me. I can't call her that; I can't even pronounce the word properly in my head forget about calling her that.

"Yeah" I replied, I was pretty nervous around her.

"Mom where is bhai" Nandini quickly changed the topic.

"Nandini, he is out of town for some business meeting"

"Nandini" her father called her, he was standing on the stairs.

"Appa" she looked towards him when he climbed down. She moved towards him and he seemed to read her thoughts as he snaked his arms around her waist and she jumped in his arms like a little girl. Her arms flung around her father's neck, her head nestling in the crook of his neck. He rubbed her back gently.

"Appa how are you" she asked and broke the hug.

"I'm fine" he replied kissing her hair before resting his chin over her head.

"Manik, how are you?' Uncle asked me and kept his hand on my shoulder.

"I'm fine uncle"

"Manik I wanted to talk about the Khurana's project how is it going"

"We have just filed the tender and it is really really good for our company and it was my father's dream project"

"And both of you are not going to have this conversation here" her mother ordered.

"Nandini what is wrong with them and I mean they are still talking about the business deals" she chuckled and my heartbeat increased and I wasn't completely sure why? I liked to see her happy.

"Mom let it be na let's have a dinner" she announced throwing her hands in air and in response got a frown from her father. Her mother eyed him angrily and he surrendered she let out a laugh.

"Okay" he muttered and we settled down on the dining table.

"I need to make a call" her father announced, he wiggled his phone in front of us and her mother glared at him.

"Apne office me ghar kyu nahi bana lete Yash" sarcastic reply came out from her mouth and he rolled his eyes on her and without spending another minute he left.

I looked at the dinner table which had like some 8-10 odd dishes. I let out a deep sigh and I swallowed the lump formed in my throat. I wish if I had a family like her. It is so great to be around your family and love ones.

"I'm happy that both of you accepted the marriage whole heartily otherwise Yash was really worried after what happened" Her mother exclaimed while serving both of us.

I was unable to speak even if I speak I will make this one hundred times harder for both of us. Talking about the marriage was something we don't do and it was awkward. I don't have any idea what she has told her parents but they look clueless, the way she told me that they don't know anything about us. Honestly I hate telling lies, I don't care about what opinion people will have about me so there is no point in telling a lie. I'm just doing it because she wants me to do it.

A little smile flickered on her lips. I admire the smile for a moment; it's a special smile, true and genuine one. I hardly get a chance to see it. May be she only has that whenever she's around her family and love ones and I wasn't a part of her family and love was something far away from the equation we share with each other.

A wave of relief shot through my body and I somehow suppressed a smile. There's no point in denying that I'm happy about the outcome of tonight because it's written on her face. I actually wanted to help her out in all this.

"Oh my god I'm sorry Manik" her mother snapped her finger in front of me and got my attention. My gaze flickered on her face and I realised that I zoned out for a moment.

"Manik dal gir gayi tumhare upar look down" I looked down and then back on her face, she looked apologetic.

"Manik go to the washroom" she told me, and I left my seat and I moved towards washroom.

After 5 minutes when I came back.

"Nishant give me some time, I will talk to him" I stopped in my tracks when I heard her father's voice. I took a step towards him. I hide myself behind the pillar but close enough of him.

"I know Nishant how important this project is for our company" It didn't took me a moment to find out that they were talking about the Khurana hotel project because that was the only project we both wanted my father's dream project. We both were fighting for the same project.

"I will talk to Manik, he is here in my house and he is my son in law, I will somehow convince him. He will back out" I was watching him, patiently waiting for him to finish the conversation. All kinds of thoughts were running through my mind.

So it was a part of a plan, all this dinner drama. A minute ago I adored the relationship and the bond they share with each other but now I know the reality behind this fake love. Why everything is about give and take? My head hurt when I thought about Nandini's reaction. She will be shock to know the real her father has, he finished the conversation and went downstairs. I follow him. He took his seat and occupied mine.

"Nandini, why are you not eating, have this dessert, it's your favourite" he said while passing the sweet dish. She took the bowl from his hand.

"Manik have it" I took it from his hand and threw it away. Next moment sweet dish met the floor and everyone looked towards me, shock plastered on their faces.

ZK8uXjy'