Chapter 24- Sworn to the Sword

Song lyrics

_________________

Blare's Pov

Things have been there relaxed around here lately. Me and Garnet have been pretty normal as well she was on a solo mission today, so for now it was just me. I sat down on the couch enjoying the peace. Then the warp-pad activated I looked back to see Steven and Connie. "Blare do you know were Pearl is?" Steven asked a familiar glow in his eyes. "She's in the temple. Why?" I asked wondering what he was up to. "I want to ask her to teach Connie how to sword fight." His smile as bright as ever but I was concerned.  "Okay I'll go get her." I said sitting up. I opened my door in the temple making my way to Pearl's room. 

When I arrived she was staring into space. No doubt she was reminiscing the past. I frowned remembering how much she adored Rose. "Pearl!" I called out she jumped slightly before looking my way. I motioned for her to come down. "How can I help you Blare?" She asked. "Steven said he wants to talk to you." I said she nodded opening the temple door. We both stepped out to see the excited pair. "Pearl can you teach Connie how to sword fight?" Steven asked. Pearl stepped back slightly shocked by his request.

"You want me to do what?" She asked not sure if she heard him right. "You should train Connie to sword fight! She's already so good!" Steven insisted his eyes sparkling with excitement. "Steven." Connie was embarrassed by his praise. "But you are!" Steven said listing off the many different examples of her skill. "You're awfully  young to begin something like this, but I suppose I was only a few thousand years old when I began fighting alongside Rose Quartz." Pearl said. 

Connie raised her hand to get her attention. "Yes Connie?" "Please I wanna learn. I mean I don't know what will happen in the future, but if something dangerous comes along I don't wanna be a burden I wanna help. I wanna be there for Steven and fight by his side. The Earth is my home too can't I help protect it." Connie's speech had Pearl completely moved tears gathering in her eyes. "Looks like she's got you there Pearl." I said smiling at Connie's motivation. 

 "Oh okay, if that's how you feel we should get started." Pearl said walking over to the warp-pad. Steven cheered following right behind her. "Blare come with us I could use the assistance." Pearl said. "I planned on coming with you anyway. You can't have all the fun Pearl. "Wait now?" Connie asked. 

________

We arrived at the Sky Arena. "I can't believe you agreed to this? You usually prefer that humans stay out of gem business." I said Pearl smiled. "Well how could I refuse Connie's determination and devotion." Pearl said. "She reminds you of yourself doesn't she?" I asked Pearl nodded her head in response.  "Hey you two this way." Pearl called the two raced after us. Connie admired the ruins of the. "This is an ancient Sky Arena Connie. Where some of the first battles for Earth took place. It was here that I became familiar with the human concept of being a Knight. Completely dedicated to a person and a cause. This is what you must become Connie brave, selfless, loyal a knight. "We begin with a bow first to me and Blare your teachers and now again to your liege." Pearl instructed.

 Connie copied her action her and Steven smiling and laughing with each other. "I hope you two are taking this seriously." Pearl said the two quickly confirmed ever so convincingly that they were. Pearl danced summoning one of her lifeless puppets. "To begin this holopearl will be your opponent." Steven instantly surrounded them with a bubble but let go upon Connie's confusion stepping away. 

"Alright everything begins with you stance. Remember you do it for him and you would do it again. You do it for her that is to say you'll do it for him." I frowned at the beginning of her song but I knew where she was coming from. I decided to join in on her song.