Chapter 42- Catching Up

A/N: This chapter will be shorter than usual simply because it runs into the next chapter Steven Floats.  Also this chapter took a little longer because I was unsure on how to make Lapis and Peridot's dialogue as in character as possible. 

Well I hope everyone enjoys this chapter and enjoys the rest of their day. :)

________________________________________-

Black's Pov

We stared at the sky a little longer before I decided to break the silence. "So the new leader of the Crystal Gems, Peridot?" I teased. Peridot turned to look at me blushing furiously. "I-I uh-" She stuttered failing to gather her words. "I was just teasing Peridot besides we all know that Garnet is the leader." I said shifting my gaze to the lovely perma fusion. 

"Well now that things are settled on this end. We should head back to the temple."  Pearl noted clapping her hands together. Amethyst began to cheer, "Yyyeeaaah! I can finally get to quesadilla I left in the fridge!" I frowned knowing that whatever type of food Amethyst left in there to 'marinate' was more than likely rotten. 

"We're going home!" Steven cheered. Amethyst joined in as they began to list the things they missed about Beach City. Before I knew it we were making our way to the warp-pad. As we were walking I couldn't help but to look back in the direction of the barn. "Blare. Blare!" I jumped slightly turning to see Garnet staring at me. 

"Sorry I just...I-" I didn't know why I kept looking back. Was I still worried about how things would work out between Lapis and Peridot? Was this just an aftershock from revealing and realizing three gems know my identity? 

As I stood there thinking about my feelings. I felt her arms wrap around my waist. "Take all the time you need." She whispered holding me close.  I turned my head to look at her, "But-" She placed her finger over my mouth effectively silencing me. "We can always continue our plans tomorrow." She said. I sighed looking at my hands. 

"I'm sorry this keeps happening. It seems like everytime we make plans for anything something gets in the way." If I didn't know any better I would say it seems like something is always pulling us apart.  "That doesn't mean we'll never carry them out, and it doesn't change anything between us. I still love you." She reassured me placing a soft kiss on my gem. 

I blushed but nodded my head in response. I watched as she simple rose to her initial height and walked away. The feeling I had watching her walk away was unsettling but familiar. It could have just been my paranoia over the little mishaps in our relationship. As I sat and thought about this familiar feeling only two gems came to mind. 

3rd Person Pov

Black turned back to the barn, slowly walking. He stood in the doorway watching Lapis and Peridot interact. It was a heartwarming sight for him. He didn't know what to say but- "Black Diamond!" Black looked to see Peridot grinning in front of him. 

"Peridot you can't just yell my name like that! What if they heard you?" He scolded, with a stern expression. She continued to smile pulling him into the barn. "So, why are you still here?" Peridot asked. "Yeah we thought you would have left with the others." Lapis added looking at the Diamond curiously. 

Black stood there not knowing what to say , but when he opened his mouth everything came crashing down. "I don't...know what to do? I can't keep hiding from them. It feels like the more I hide from them. The more it feels like I'm suffocating myself." He confessed, falling to his knees

Lapis and Peridot stared in shock having never witnessed a Diamond show weakness. Tears slowly fell down his face. Heartbroken eyes staring at the ground where his tears collected. He was torn and the stress he ignored upon every moment he stood in the presence of the Crystal Gems weighed down on him. 

Lapis and Peridot didn't know what to say as they watched Black Diamond return to his original form. They both knew from the interactions they had witnessed from him that he cared for each of the Crystal Gems in his own way. "Why not just tell them the truth?" Peridot suggested. 

Lapis sighed, "Peridot it's not that easy. Black isn't like us. He's a Diamond." Peridot frowned not understanding her point. "That shouldn't mean anything. The Crystal Gems have known Black Diamond for thousands of years. Their friendship shouldn't change due to something as silly as this." Peridot countered. Lapis paused for a minute. She understood what Peridot was saying. Something like Black's as she would call it comfort issues improving enough to share this part of himself shouldn't affect the relationships he has. 

"They rebelled against my sisters, the Diamonds. What would make me any different? I'm apart of the same cut of gem that tormented them for eons." Black lamented turning to look the two in the eye. Peridot hummed in understanding and grasping the full extent of her friend's conflict. "Recently it's felt like I've been splitting myself in two. Everything from helping Jasper to expressing my opinions in terms of Homeworld values, like on the Moon Base." Black listed his eyes sparkling with unshed tears.

Lapis cringed slightly at the mention of Jasper, but all the same she felt bad for him. She wanted to help even if it was only a little.  Lapis walked over to the distraught Diamond taking a seat within his long hair and laying down. Black stiffened not knowing what to do in that moment, but he eventually relaxed. 

"There isn't much I can do for you but offer my support." Lapis said closing her eyes and relaxing. "Lapis is right! Homeworld gems need to stick together." Peridot smiled. "I just wish I knew when there would be a good time to tell them." Black whispered a few tears sliding down his face. 

Peridot frowned feeling bad about what she was going to say, but she knew that it was the truth and that he needed to hear it. "Black Diamond, in all do respect there may never be a good time to tell them." Peridot said. Black smiled solemnly knowing that what she said was the unwanted truth. "You'll just have to tell them when you feel it's right." Lapis added with a soft smile. Black finally closed his eyes taking in their words. 

When I...think it's right.