Chapter 58- Changes

A/N: Thank you, everyone, for your patience. My last few semesters were pretty intense and I wanted to adjust to them. This, unfortunately, meant that I took my breaks to myself to recuperate.

For anyone that's wondering: Yes, I am still writing this story. This one just took a crazy long time to write because life and it's not episode-based, so I'm all on my own to flush out the idea in this chapter to progress the story. Also in favor of publishing this chapter, I skipped doing art. I'll continue that in future chapters.

I plan on writing chapters in advance so that I can hopefully get back into weekly or bi-weekly updates. So all I ask is for your continued patience. Thanks again and sorry for the wait. I promise I'm still here.

P/S: Like all chapters, there may be errors.

(Comment politely if you see them please and thank you. I also like some of the jokes on errors too )

______________________________________________

Unsettling, was the only word that could truly describe what the canyon had become. A mirror image of what it used to be. The air was dense. A certain pressure lingering in the air but ever so apparent to those that had entered. The canyons had become more like a cave. As if the sun had never shone on the sandstone canyons, to begin with. The dark cloud of smoke from earlier had spread through every inch of the canyon covering any remnants of the beautiful blue sky and providing little to no light in the once bright desert canyon. A mere two feet of distorted visibility available to the two gems that braved through the Kindergarten.

An eerie silence enraptured the depths of the abandoned kindergarten with the exception of the unnerving clicks, growls, and the sharp sound of scraping claws faintly echoing on the canyon walls. Lapis and Peridot knew that they were being watched. As they glanced around catching a glimpse of the misshapen and monstrous gems. As if to toy with the two of them the gem creatures that remained made it very apparent that they were there. Whether it be walking past in their field of vision, or simply a low and threatening growl as they grew closer to their Diamond. It all served as a silent threat, daring them to upset the gem fusion they were looking for. However, in their cautious observations, the two had been unknowingly separated.

Unknowingly walking on separate paths in search of the corrupted fusion. The two gems continued to walk through the canyons, thinking that the other was within arms reach. Their mutual silence becoming their biggest disadvantage. Their thoughts dragging them further into the cave of uncertains, unsuppressed danger, and vicious unpredictability.

Looking around, Peridot could barely believe that she had been here only a couple of hours ago. If she hadn't have known what the area looked like before she could have easily assumed that this was a cave. The temperature had dropped significantly, which she could only assume was an effect of the smoke-like substance that had overtaken the area. However, that wasn't her main concern. What would become of Black Diamond if they managed to successfully separate him from Jasper. A part of her wanted to have faith in the strength and power of Diamonds. How could something like that afflict a Diamond, yet the uncertainties of corrupt gems made it hard for Peridot to find comfort in those thoughts.

Lapis, on the other hand, walked straight forward not even sparing a glance at her surroundings. Her mind was too focused on what could possibly lie ahead of her. Leaving her just as unaware of her surroundings as Peridot. What kind of fusion were they? Would Carnelian be anything like Malachite? Or were they much worse? Peridot said something about corruption what...what is that? Lapis shook her head to regain some of her focus. The first thing that she noticed was that it was easier to see in this area, but that wasn't the only thing that she noticed. "Peridot?" Lapis turned to look around for the shorter gem but she wasn't there.