II- conflict arises

day 1

Bella stopped reading the message and allowed her jaw to fall open.

Max, Angelo and (Y/n) stared at the screen with wide eyes, processing the information they'd just received.

'A game??? What kind of psychopath does this??' (Y/n) thought to herself.

"This...this has to be a joke, r-right?" Max looked around at the group nervously, an unsure and insincere smile on his face as he tried to force himself to reject what the message said. "This isn't real."

"Wait, that message said there are nine of us." Angelo pointed out. "There's only four of us here." He shifted in his seat to sit forward. "Has anyone seen anybody else?"

(Y/n) nodded her head weakly. "I saw a woman.... while I was trying to find my way here, she went off in another direction."

As if on cue there was another bell like tone that resonated from the screen, urging the four very confused young adults to look to it.

Go to the living room to meet your other opponents.

(Y/n) winced. She wasn't sure how she felt about the word 'opponent' it made a lot more sense to her for them to work this out together but she feared that the other people may genuinely view this as some competition.

"Some directions would be nice..." Bella muttered as she stood up and brushed her clothes down to eliminate any wrinkles, her slender hands went up to ensure her bright pink hair was still tucked into her bun. "Alright, let's go."

"Shouldn't we try to figure out why we're here?" Angelo cocked his head to the side.

"That would be much easier if we met the other players." She spoke with a very polite tone of voice but something about the air she carried herself with made those around her feel very inferior.

Max was still in his own head, trying to convince himself that this wasn't really happening. He was clutching his light brown hair as if he was about to tear it right out of his head.

"It's going to be okay." (Y/n) said softly with an encouraging smile. She too was inwardly freaking out but Max was clearly taking this the hardest.

"I can't stay here... I have- I have a life, friends, family-"

"We've all got that." Bella's voice was like a cold spot that overwhelmed the room. "We're all in the same boat so stop feeling sorry for yourself."

Max scowled at her, Bella didn't understand how much he had to lose.

(Y/n) felt Bella's approach to Max's distress was pretty heartless, though it gave her something to think about. Perhaps the reason (Y/n) herself was able to comfort him instead of wallowing in this herself was because she didn't have much to lose.

"That was... unnecessary." Angelo spoke out in regards to Bella's comment. "It's important we try to stay in each other's good graces and not give this psycho the drama he clearly wants from us."

(Y/n) couldn't help but agree, she nodded to show this and stood up. "Whatever happens with the others, us four need to have each other's backs."