LXXIII- her eyes

day 67

No one cried quite as hard as Dottie. She was almost coughing up blood and practically lost her voice. That's not to say that no one else was affected, they all were but her reaction really took the cake.

The next morning there was a long and strenuous meeting between all except (Y/n). They were reluctant to lock her in again because that was likely part of the reason she did what she did. In truth, (Y/n) had failed to give a straight answer about what prompted her to almost take her own life but it was pretty self explanatory.

So instead of that it was decided that she'd have at least one of them by her side at all times. Twenty-four seven, no breaks for air. Even when she went to the bathroom, someone would be waiting outside and (Y/n) knew the door would be kicked in the very second they decided she was taking too long. It was understood to be a pretty poor idea but they'd all rather (Y/n) be uncomfortable than dead or hurt.

Owen hadn't told her that it was the Gamemaster that had told him to go find her, he expected that she would act out in response to hearing that he had thwarted not just one but two of her suicide attempts.

They all decided to put their sadness and yearning aside for (Y/n). Seeing them all wail over her wasn't going to do anything to make her feel better... They weren't exactly acting as if it didn't happen becuase that would just be foolish but everyone was treading very lightly around the subject.

(Y/n) didn't give a shit whether they spoke to her about it or not, she just didn't want them around her all the time. The day after had been a pain, she had trouble getting to sleep with a pair of eyes glued to her.

None of them could quite grasp the nuance of her emotions, that was the problem. The thing that was giving her all this grief was the circumstances she was in but they couldn't change that so instead they had to change her feelings about the circumstances.

Anything nuanced was lost on them. Tim liked to think he 'got it' and really comprehended how she felt and how to change her opinion of them but it went deeper than just waiting it out. This feeling of uselessness was in her blood, hurting herself had become the only aspect of her life she could control. Well, not anymore... And maybe that was a good thing because in her heart of hearts (Y/n) didn't really want to die, she just needed a way out.

It didn't feel like a good thing though, being surrounded like a criminal and basically being put on suicide watch.

Owen had kept to himself the day after he found her. Hearing about her previous attempts was difficult but seeing her in that position was on a whole other planet, he wished he had a more visceral reaction like Dottie did and cry it all out. Or maybe get angry at the world like Eli did, or try to analyse her feelings like Tim, or just simply be a calm presence for (Y/n) like Hana. But instead he just felt a little bit... Hollowed out.

Seeing her like that was like having a bucket of ice thrown over him, it wasn't guilt... Owen and guilt were like oil and water. It was just a very sobering sight, he wanted to make things better for (Y/n) but he didn't know how to do it while also keeping things they way he wanted them to be.

But that first day after was a hurdle that they all somehow made it over. When (Y/n) woke the next day she had Hana intently watching her. They took shifts in doing so, having shifts during the night made things a bit more difficult for Hana to go feed Bella but she managed to get it done before her change over with Eli.