XLV- no other option

day 37

A horrid feeling had been swirling in the pit of (Y/n)'s stomach ever since Bella got locked away.

She was now standing out where Angelo had been buried, the discoloured sand showing where it had been moved. Max stood beside her, knitting his brows as he stared at the spot his friend was buried in.

"He was... The last person to deserve this." Max spoke almost silently, the wind almost whisked the sound completely away. He glanced at (Y/n) beside him who had started drawing out patterns in the sand with her toe.

"I'm so fucking terrified, Max." She admitted. "We're living with a murderer... It couldn't have been Bella but-"

"It had to be Owen." Max emphasised. "You remember Angelo telling us to be careful of him and few weeks later... This!" He gestured at the point in the ground where Angelo lay.

"Owen... Wouldn't do this." (Y/n) shut her eyes and shook her head, she refused to accept that her friend would do something like that.

"Well, someone did." Max grumbled. "But you're not seeing the obvious truth."

"I know them better than you do." (Y/n) said, not even convinced by her own words. She was running circles in her mind, she didn't want to believe that any of her friends would be so brutal but one of them was, she didn't know who.... But she knew in her heart that it wasn't Bella. "You trust me, right?"

"I trust you, I don't trust your judgement." His eyes were downcast. "You're trying to see the best in people and-"

"Is that such a bad thing?!"

"It is when someone's a murderer."

They both went quiet.

"You... We can't prove anyone guilty. We shouldn't treat them like criminals." (Y/n) said after some time.

"I'd rather be a bit unfriendly than get murdered."

She sighed deeply, her (h/c) hair was blown in front of her face by the wind and she pushed it aside. "You don't have to do what I tell you... But I'm not going to do what you tell me either."

"You don't have to." Max said.

(Y/n) silently wrapped her arms around herself. She clicked her tongue and walked back inside, not sparing another look Max's way.

Hana fiddled with the gun that was in her hand, not sure if she should place it in the open palm ahead of her.

"Come on, we need to get this done before (Y/n) comes upstairs." Dottie tapped her door impatiently, practically itching to get her hands on the pistol.

Hana's mouth twitched on the edge of saying no but then she just forced the gun into Dottie's palm. Hana liked to think she was a better person than the others but she wasn't a good enough person to stop them. Hana leaned down and picked up the plate of food and cutlery and nodded to Dottie to signify she was ready.

Dottie grinned and got a good grip on the pistol before pushing Bella's door open.

Bella looked up in relative disinterest at first, knowing she'd just be getting her second bland meal of the day but she did a double take when seeing the gun that Dottie was aiming at her.