XXXVIII- sickly sweet

day 26

Dottie watched as (Y/n) walked away from her. (Y/n) was going to Max's room.

Fuck, Dottie was tired of Max. He was always (Y/n)'s first choice... Why couldn't she be (Y/n)'s first choice?

She was so much better than him! Besides, (Y/n) would never be a priority for him. He'd be too busy fretting over his husband or child to even pay (Y/n) any mind.

The truth of the matter was that if they got off the island right then, Max would drop (Y/n) like a piece of garbage but Dottie would never do that. She'd cherish (Y/n) for enternity but with this whole plan that needed to play out those days seemed all too far away.

She just wanted to feel chosen. That was all.

Dottie felt one of her pigtails being pulled on harshly. "Hey!" She yelped turning to see her older brother Derek running off in fits of giggles.

She was eight, he was nine and the two of them were as close as two siblings could be. They regarded each other as their best friend and did nearly everything together.

Dottie cried all day when Derek went to school a year earlier than her, she even tried to sneak into the trunk of the car just so she could be with him.

Their favorite activity to do together by far was art. They used pencils, paint, clay or anything they could get their hands on to create art.

Dottie eventually caught up to Derek and tackled him down. They laughed as they wrestled each other. Despite being younger Dottie was stronger than him and would always end up winning.

"You need to go to PE more instead of going to your tutor." She taunted, getting off of him after claiming victory.

"Dot, It's not my fault mom and dad always make me go to Miss Dales. They're talking about sending me to an art school." He said carelessly. "They keep using the word 'prodigy'... I don't know what it means but they want me to keep doing art."

Dottie clapped happily. "Let me ask mom and dad if I can go with you!"

The brother and sister seeked out their parents who smiled when seeing their children. "Ah, Derek we were going to try and find you. We need a two year portfolio of work for your early entry." Their mother said.

"What's a portfolio?" Dottie asked in confusion.

"Don't worry about it." Their father dismissed her. "We've found a school that will let you in early and give you private tutoring if they think you're good enough."

"Can I come too?" Dottie perked up, liking the idea of doing art with her brother all day.

"Do I have to go so early?" Derek asked. "I want to finish off my time in regular school."

"You do-"

"Dottie! Just-" Her mom sighed. "Just shut up please. You don't need to be part of this conversation."

Dottie's shoulders sunk down. "Okay..." The little girl started to walk away.

"Go to your room. But don't use up any of the new art supplies, we need to save the resources for your brother." Her mom called after her.