2. Twoset Chemistry

"Eddy, dude, what the heck is that?!"

It's early in the morning and Brett exclaimed as he walked into the organic chemistry laboratory and saw his friend.  For starters, Brett wasn't expecting anyone to be there so early and secondly, his friend Eddy was wearing a PINK lab coat!!! 

"I'm setting up for a 7-hour reflux."

"No, no, not that, I meant what are you wearing??"

"A lab coat."

Mumbled Eddy, his eyes focused on the equipment at hand, inside the fume cupboard in which he was assembling his experiment glassware together.

The whole set up in the fume hood was a bit too low for Eddy's height and so he had his legs spread apart so that he could see what he was doing. 

Brett rolled his eyes.

"Yes, Eddy I can tell it's a bloody lab coat but what's with the colour?"

"Huh? Oh, it was like this when I got here."

Brett couldn't help letting a smirk emerge from the edges of his lips. Whenever Eddy was focused on something he just wouldn't give a toss about anything else.  Brett turned away from Eddy as he approached his workbench. This was when his eyes rounded out wide under his spectacles. 

"Aaaaaaaaaaagh mine's pink too, WTF?!"

"Chill dude, it's a prank by the Inorganics.  They dyed all the Organics' lab coats. Some or yellow, some are green. They did ours pink."

Brett heard his friend shouting from the other side of the laboratory, his voice travelling over the workbenches and shelves stacked high with papers and bottles of chemicals. 

"Oh shiiiit, it's sooooooo... pink, I might just start glowing in the dark with this?"

Brett hears Eddy giggle. 

"Put it on, mate. I wanna see how you look in it." 

Eddy's voice got louder. He was approaching Brett's little workspace.

"Aaaawe, mate you look so cute, pink is def your colour"

"Crap Eddy, I'm not too fond of you using those words in the same sentence..!"

Eddy grins.

"What?  You, cute 'n pink ?"

Brett blushed. Eddy was weird sometimes and said sh*t like that. Actually, he said sh*t like that all the time. Brett thought it was actually him that's weird for getting so affected by it. 

"Brett can I borrow your mag stirrer?"

"Sure, you need an extra one ?"

Brett opened up his stationery drawer to retrieve a small plastic film canister, which contained what looked like a small white painkiller tablet. It's a magnet that you pop into your flask and set on a stirrer machine which made it spin and stirred your experiment mixtures. Other students would go through your cupboards and took things without asking, which was a major trigger for PhD students like Brett and Eddy, so Brett has kept his hidden with his stationary as a precaution. 

"Nah, I don't have one anymore. Mine got nicked.  They replaced it with a f*cking tictac."

Brett couldn't help himself laugh out loud. 

"Dude, that's the funniest thing.  I'll have to try that stunt on someone "

"Don't."

Eddy said rather sharply, somewhat out of his character.