The Mall Rats | M.M.

You and Mike were hanging out in the basement. Apparently last night Hopper threatened Mike and now he's panicking because he can't see El.

"I still don't understand what happened." You said as you watched Mike pace.

Mike sighed. "Of course you don't."

"Mike! Phone!" Karen, your mom, yelled.

"Okay!" Mike yelled back.

Mike walked over to the phone and hesitantly picked it up. "Hello? Sorry, I- I was just about to call. I, um, can't see you today. It's my Nana. She's very sick."

You watched in amusement as Mike mouthed 'shit.'

"Yeah. That's... what... we thought it was at first, but then she took a real turn for the worse. Yeah. We think she might... die." Mike lied.

You let out a laugh causing Mike to glare at you. Mike's eyes widened as he removed the phone from his ear.

"Mom! Get off the phone! How many times?!" Mike yelled.

"Did Nana call?!" Your mom shouted back.

"No, Mom! Just get off the phone!" Mike shouted back before speaking into the phone again. "Sorry about that. Yeah. She's so upset, she's making no sense. Because we have to go to the nursing home. To see Nana. No! I mean, I- I just think... I need to be alone today. With my... feelings?"

"Oh my..." You mumbled to yourself.

"What? No. Friends don't lie." Mike removed the phone from his ear. "What, Mom? My mom's calling me. Better go. Talk to you tomorrow. Miss you already. Bye!" Mike hung up the phone.

"Now are you gonna tell me what's going on?" You asked.

Mike sighed. "Just... wait."

Mike went over to his walkie talkie and called Lucas and Will. Once Will and Lucas arrived Mike sat you and Lucas down on the couch as Will started to set up a D&D game.

"She knows I'm lying. She knows I'm lying."

"I don't even understand. Why lie?" Lucas asked.

"Hopper. He threatened me." Mike told him.

"Did he say he'd kill you?" Lucas asked.

"What? No." Mike exclaimed.

"So then, what's the big deal?" You wondered.

"The big deal is if I don't do what he says, then he'll stop me from seeing El. Like, permanently. You don't understand. He's crazy. He's lost his mind." Mike said.

"Hey, guys, I'm almost set up here." Will spoke up.

"I had no choice. I really had no choice." Mike told the two, ignoring Will.

"I just wish you'd consulted me." Lucas turned to you. "Why didn't you help him?"

You cocked your head to the side. "What did you want me to do?"

"I dont know. You're El's best friend." Lucas said to you.

You sighed and turned back to Mike. "You're in deep shit."

Mike sat down on the couch and groaned.

"I'm not gonna lie, it's gonna be bad." Lucas agreed with you.

Mike groaned again.

"But... you can fix this." You stood up. "It's just one little mistake. I've made a bunch of mistakes. Max has dumped me five times."

"That's not really a flex, y/n." Lucas said.

"Shh." You held up a finger to him. "And I've won her back every single time."