Mixed Signals | M.M.

You and Max have been together for a while until she dumped in the beginning of the year. You've tried to get an explanation on why she randomly dumped you but she always pushed you away. And her ignoring you only got worse since she found out she was cursed by Vecna.

She wrote you all fail safe letters and gave them to you. Now she was making Steve drive you all around town so that she could give letters to her mom and other family letters. After that, she gave Steve more directions and it wasn't long before you figured out she was giving him directions to the cemetery where Billy was buried at.

When Steve pulled into the cemetery, Max told him where to go. Steve parked at the bottom of the hill and Max got out of the car. You quickly unbuckled your seatbelt before following her out.

"Max?" You called out.

Max looked at you and rolled her eyes. "y/n, please, just wait in the car."

"Max, just wait. Max, please." You ignored her protests and ran over to her. You grabbed onto her shoulder to get her to stop walking.

"y/n, just wait-"

"Just listen to me. Just, please." You begged and she gave you a look telling you to continue. "I know something happened back there with your mom. Was it Vecna?"

"I told you, I'm fine. Okay?" Max said with a false smile. "I mean, as fine as someone who's hurtling towards a gruesome death can be."

"Max... you know you can talk to me." You told her. "Right?"

Max just stared at you for a few seconds before giving you another false smile. "Yeah, I know that."

"Okay, then why do you keep pushing me away?" You reached into your pocket and pulled out the letter she gave you. "Okay, look, I don't need a letter. I don't want a letter. Just talk to me." You pointed to the others in the car. "To your friends. We're right here. I'm right here. Okay? I'm here. If you just talked to me than I could help you get through this."

She just stared at you again. "Why would you wanna help me?"

You sighed. "Because I still love you. I never stopped loving you. And I don't care if you don't love me back and I don't care if it's too late, I'm saying it anyways."

Max's eyes softened for a few seconds. She didn't say anything but you could tell she wanted to tell you that she loves you back. You knew deep down that she still loved you.

You stepped closer to Max before you slightly leaned down and placed your lips on hers. Max didn't kiss you back because she was in shock but after a few seconds her eyes fluttered closed as she savored this kiss.

This could very well be her last kiss with you.

The kiss lasted a few seconds before you pulled away. Max's demeanor quickly changed back to emotionless. You looked at Max, waiting for her to say something.

"Just, wait in the car. This won't be long." Max told you before continuing her way up the hill.

You sighed as you watched her go. You ran your fingers through your hair before walking back over to Steve's car.

"What was that about?" Steve asked you.

You ignored him and just sat on the hood of his car.

...

The next day, after Max's close encounter with death, you all decided that it would be a good idea to keep a close eye on her

When it was morning Nancy, Dustin, and Max had woken you all up in a hurry. Something about going to Victor Creel's old house.