All Too Well | S.S.

You woke up one morning to the sound of birds chirping. You rubbed your eyes and tried to get up but then you realized that your girlfriend, Sadie, was clinging onto you like a sloth wrapped around a tree.

You smiled to yourself as you ran your fingers through her hair. Sadie groaned as she started to wake up.

"Good morning." You smiled.

"Good morning." She mumbled as she leaned up and kissed you.

"If it's okay with you im gonna have some old friends from high school come over for dinner." You asked her. "I want you to meet them."

"Yeah, that's fine. I can't wait to meet them." She smiled.

You gave her a kiss before you tried to get up but Sadie just pulled you back down. You smiled as she buried her face in your neck.

"Sades I have to get up." You told her.

"No." She told you before she started kissing your neck.

"Sadie..." You softly said.

...

Once your friends arrived you introduced them to Sadie. Sadie shook all of their hands with a smile before you all went over to the table to eat dinner.

You were so caught up in trying to reconnect with your old friends that you were completely oblivious to the fact that Sadie had felt so alone and so out of place.

At one point she even tried to gently hold your hand. You held her hand for a few seconds before letting go and drinking out of your wine glass.

...

After your friends left, Sadie was standing in the kitchen by the sink, washing dishes. You walked over to her, putting a plate in the sink and catching a glimpse of the annoyed look on her face.

"Why are you so pissed off?" You asked as you went to grab another plate.

She shook her head. "I'm not pissed off, who said I was pissed off?"

You shrugged. "You're acting pissed off. It's ridiculous. These are my friends and they were super nice to you, too."

"Well I liked your friends, I never said I didn't like your friends." Sadie told you before turning off the faucet and looking at you. "I didn't like the way you acted around them."

"You were being weird and quiet the entire time!" You defended yourself.

"I was not being weird!" She raised her voice.

"Yes you were!" You walked back over to her, putting another plate in the sink.

"Because you wouldn't look at me!" She yelled.

"Oh, come on." You rolled your eyes.

"You didn't ask me one thing the entire night." Sadie said.

"That's such bullshit." You scoffed.

"You dropped my fucking hand!" She yelled. "What am I supposed to do with that?"

"I didn't even notice! What are you talking about?" You asked.

"I don't know any of these people, y/n! They're all strangers!" She continued.

"What are you-"

"I feel so out of place, you're the only one that makes me feel comfortable!" She cut you off.

"You're really making this about you?" You asked. "I'm catching up with friends and you're literally saying I dropped your hand. I don't even remember the moment that you're talking about. I did it subconsciously."

"Don't! You're making me feel fucking stupid." She said.

"Holy shit. Stop being so selfish. I don't think I'm making you feel that way I think you're making yourself feel that way." You told her as she rolled her eyes and went back to doing the dishes. "These are people I haven't seen in like five years. And you just sat there the entire fucking time. It was fun. I had a blast. Now this is the night. Now we're doing this."

"You just treated me differently." She said.

"What do you mean I treated you differently?" You asked.

She dropped the plate that she was holding and turned to look at you. "You didn't even look at me once!"

"What are you talking about?" You asked. "I'm catching up with my friends!"

"No, no, no, no, trust me. They were enthralled by you." Sadie took a step towards you.

"You're literally making the entire night about you."

"You didn't even look at me!"

"Holy shit. You're being so selfish. It's so crazy. You're making it about you." You said.

"Oh, so I'm selfish now?" She asked.

"Yes!"

"I'm selfish now." She repeated.

"You're acting selfish." You told her.

Sadie looked at you with a frown on her face and those innocent eyes that could make anyone melt.

"Don't look at me like that. That's so fucked up." You said.

Without saying a word she turned back to the sink. She put her hands on the counter and leaned over as tears started to fall from her eyes.

You sighed as you thought about the night. You did ignore her. You did drop her hand. She was so excited about meeting all your friends and spending the night with you and you just ignored her. She even tried to hold your hand to make herself feel better but you wouldn't even let her do that. And now here you were calling her selfish when she did nothing wrong.

"Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey." You walked over to her and wrapped your arms around her waist. "Come on, come on, come on. I don't want to fight."

Sadie sniffled as she wiped her tears and leaned into you. You put your arms around her shoulders and kissed her head.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry." You said as she held onto your arms. "I'm sorry I dropped your hand."

You let go of her and she turned to face you. She covered her face with her hands.

"Come on." You said as you tried to move her hands away.

"No." She pushed your hands away as she uncovered her face and looked at you with a slight smile. "Now I'm embarrassed."

"Don't be embarrassed. I'm sorry." You told her before kissing her head and wrapping your arms around her waist.

She wrapped her arms around your neck as she buried her face in your shoulder, hugging you. After a few seconds she lifted her head up and kissed you.