Chapter 17: Frenemy

Turning a corner, Scott slides to a halt when he hears voices

A crowd of people gather outside the neon lit facade of a building. It was a night club.

Scott turned, trying to find the creature.

But it was Stiles and Amelia, who races out of the darkness, gasping for air, well, Stiles was gasping for air.

"You see where he went?" She asked.

Scott shook his head, "Lost him."

They glance about, trying to stay out of view of the club.

"You couldn't catch a scent?" Stiles asked.

"I don't think it has one."

"Any clue where he's going?" Amelia asked them.

"To kill someone." Scott answered.

"Right, that's what the claws and fangs are for. Now it all makes sense." Stiles said sarcastically but then saw the looks in his friend's faces "Sorry. I'm a hundred and forty-seven pounds of pale skin and fragile bone. Sarcasm's my only defense."

"Can you just help me find it?" Scott said.

"Not it. Jackson." Stiles said while looking around.

"I know, I know."

"But does he know? And did anyone else see him back at your house?" Stiles asked.

Scott shook his head "I don't think so. And he already passed Derek's test anyway."

"Yeah, but that's the thing. How did he pass the test?"

"I don't know"

"Maybe it's an either/or thing. Derek said a snake can't be poisoned by its own venom, right? So when's the Kanima not the Kanima?" Amelia asked making realization cross over the two boys faces.

"When it's Jackson." Scott looked to Stiles for confirmation, but Stiles's gaze was focused on something else.

"Dude..." He nodded to the roof of the club where a tail arcs into the moonlight.

The Kanima's body glides into view and then darts down through an air conditioning vent.

"You see that?" Stiles asked and they nodded.

"He's inside."

"What the hell's he going to do in there?" She asked.

With a quick breath, Scott snapped his head toward the line.

He caught a scent "I think I know who he's after "

"What? How? Did you smell something?"

"Armani."

They all turn to the entrance where they see a familiar face using a fake ID to get into the club.

Jackson's best friend, Danny.