Chapter 33: The overlooked

The steel door of the loft rolled open and Jennifer rushed in, pretending to be in a panic

"Derek?!" she called out. "Derek, where are you?"

"Right here."

She spin around and saw Derek stepping out of the shadows, as if he habeen waiting in the darkness for her.

"Thank God," Jennifer breathed in relief before rushing over, arms wrapping around him. "Okay, look, something happened at the recital. At the school," She faux-panicked. "Okay, I need to tell you before you hear it, before you hear any of it from them."

"From who?"

"Scott, Stiles, your sister, Zander. They're gonna tell you things. Things you can't believe.
You have to trust me, okay? You trust me."

"What is it?" He asked her again.

"Promise you'll listen to me." She pleaded him almost desperately.

"I promise."

She was quiet for a minute, before she leaned foward and pressed her lips against his, desperately.

But there was a hesitancy in him, making her pull away and looked him in the eyes, noticing a lack of reaction, a visible unease.

"They're already here, aren't they?" She asked, stepping away from him.

Derek looked away from her, and his eyes moved over her head.

Jennifer turned around to see Scott, Stiles, Amelia and Zander round the corner next, standing behind her, and then she looked over to Derek.

"So they told you it was me? That I'm the one taking people?" she asked softly.

"We told him you're the one killing people." Amelia growled furiously at her.

"Oh, that's right," Jennifer snarked with a chuckle, turning to the four teenagers. "Committing human sacrifices? What, cutting their throats? Yeah, I probably do it on my lunch hour. That way, I can get back to teaching high school English the rest of the day. That makes perfect sense."

"Where's my dad?" Stiles asked his teacher, a tear rolling down his cheek.

"How should I know?"

Amelia's fists clenched tightly into balls and Zander pulled her back a bit.

Then Jennifer turned to Derek "Derek, tell me you don't believe this."

Derek tensed a bit, before he looked at the four teenagers.

Stiles's broken expression and teary eyes, Scott, Amelia and Zander's furious expressions, Derek then looked at Jennifer again.