Chapter 28: Frayed

Amelia was leaning against the window of the school bus, her feet on top of Zander's lap, as she watched outside the window with a blank expression

They were sitting in front of Stiles and Scott.

Zander was looking at his mate, with a worry expression, she wasn't looking good.

She looked like a ghost, very pale, and she looked like she was barely breathing.

He could still hear her screams and cries from last night.

Zander turned in his seat when Stiles started snapping his fingers to get Scott's attention.

Stiles was helping him study for the PSAT's, but Scott was in and out of consciousness.

"Yo, Scotty. Hey, yo, Scotty? Still with me?"

Scott snapped out of the cat-nap he was sinking into and Zander could see Scott's complexion had become less colored, like he was slowly becoming Death himself, like Amelia.

"Yeah, sorry. Uh, what's the word?" the boy huffed weakly.

"'Anachronism'," Stiles read off the tablet.

"Something that exists out of its normal time," Scott answered.

"Nice," Stiles praised, sliding onto the next word "Okay, next word'incongruous'."

"Um, can you use it in a sentence?"

"Yes. Yes, I can" Stiles stated simply "It's completely incongruous that we're sitting on a bus right now, on our way to some stupid Cross Country meet after what just happened; incongruous."

Scott started nodding his head, being to remember the meaning of the word and Zander sighed, turning his head slightly to check on the two other betas in front of them.

He was worried that one or both of them would try something against Ethan, who was sitting two seats behind them, with a bus full of innocent students.

"Out of place, ridiculous, absurd."

"Perfect. Okay, next word. Um, Darach."

Zander and Scott snapped their heads over to the human boy.

"Darach, it's a noun." Stiles looked up to see the two of them looking at him and he groaned "We have to talk about it sometime, okay? And we're gonna be stuck in this thing for, like, five hours, so why not?"

None of the two boys said anything and Stiles just huffed in disappointment.

"Next word 'Intransigent.'"

"Stubborn, obstinate."

The bus ran through a pothole or something and jerked the whole bus with all the students inside.

Zander grunted in surprise and looked towards his mate, who continued to watch with a blank expression.

He then turned around when he heard Scott groan.