Chapter 31: Visionary

Everything was different and Zander knew that

Boyd was dead.

Kali used Derek to kill him, to get Derek to finally do what Deucalion wanted him to do - kill his
pack.

Right now Stiles and Zander were in the Hale's loft with Amelia and Cora, looking for answers and trying to find out where Derek might have disappeared to.

Amelia were telling them a story from the last time the Argents had tried to kill them, years before when Derek was in high school.

"We were there for two days, waiting, hiding. That's what we're taught to do when the hunters find us... hide and heal," she finished, staring out of the big set of windows into the rain, next to Cora.

"Okay, so is two days standard, then, or are we thinking Derek's on, like, some extended getaway?" Stiles asked her as he paced in the middle of the loft.

"Why do you care?" Cora questioned him, turning around with her hands in the pockets of her cardigan.

"Why do I care? Let's see... because over the last few weeks, my best friend's tried to kill himself. His boss nearly got ritually sacrificed. A girl that I've known since I was three was ritually sacrificed. Boyd was killed by alphas, who also threatened to kill Lia and Zander next. I do - you want me to keep going? 'Cause I can, alright? For, like, an hour."

"You think Derek can do anything about that?" Amelia asked him, walking over to the table between the Hale sisters and the two teenage males.

"Well, since he's the one everyone seems to be after..." Zander shrugged, "it's more like he should do something about it, yeah."

"I don't know," Cora sighed softly. "There's something different about him now. He wasn't like this when we knew him."

"What was he like?" Stiles asked them.

They heard footsteps scuffle near them and turned their heads up to see Peter Hale descending the spiral staircase.

"A lot like Scott, actually," he answered matter-of-factly. "A lot like most teenagers - unbearably romantic, profoundly narcissistic, tolerable really only to other teenagers."

"And so what happened? What changed him?" Stiles asked.

Peter leaned against the table and glanced back toward Amelia "Well, the same thing that changes a lot of young men -"

"A girl." Amelia finished for her uncle.

"You're telling me some girl broke his little heart? That's why Derek is the way he is?" Stiles asked them.

"Do you remember Derek, before he was an Alpha, had blue eyes?" Peter asked Cora, who nodded her head slowly. The elder Hale looked back at the two teenagers "Do you know why some wolves have blue eyes?"