Chapter 22: Battlefield

An old and burned book drops to the floor, before Derek grabbed another from a shelf inside the Hale House, desperately searching and discarding book after book

He pauses, turning to see his baby sister walking over to him.

Her eyebrows risen looking at him confused "What are you looking for?"

"A Bestiary, you don't happened to know where is it?" He asked her.

She just shook her head "Nope"

He nodded, then he looked at her with worry in his eyes "Are you okay?"

She nodded "Yeah, I healed and got my strengt back, so don't worry okay." She told him with a smile.

Then they heard something behind them making them turn around to find Erica and Boyd by the stairs.

"You decided." Derek said

Erica nodded slightly "When?" Derek asked.

"Tonight." Erica said.

Boyd nodded "Everyone's going to be at the game. We figured it was the best time."

"It's not like we want to." Erica says.

Amelia raised her eyebrows slightly, "What do you want?" She asked and Erica shrugged slightly.

"Since I just turned sixteen a month ago, I wouldn't mind getting my license. I can't do that if I'm dead, you know." She said.

"I told you there was a price." Derek said.

Boyd shook his head "You didn't tell us it was going to be like this." He said.

"But I did tell you how to survive. You do it as a pack. And you're only a pack with an Alpha." Derek said and Boyd nodded.

"We know." Boyd said and realization crossed over Derek's features.

"You're going to look for another pack." He said.

"How are you even going to find one?" Amelia asked.

Boyd and Erica glanced at each other.

"We think we already did." Boyd said making Amelia furrow her brows as she and Derek glanced at each other.

"And all of a sudden we hear this howling. It was unbelievable." Erica said.

Boyd nodded "There must have been a dozen of them."

"Maybe more." Erica said.

Derek nodded slightly "Or maybe only two. You know what the Beau Geste effect is? If they modulate their howls with a rapid shift in tone, two wolves can sound like twenty."

Erica and Boyd glanced at each other.

"It doesn't matter. There's another pack out there. There's got to be. We've made up our minds." Erica said.