Chapter 58: A promise to the dead

Amelia was sleeping peacefully in her bed with her head on Zander's chest and his arms wrapped securely around her

Suddenly the alarm sound went off making the mate couple to shoot up.

They quickly walked downstairs where Derek, Breaden, Brett and Lori were already up.

Derek and Breaden had their guns ready pointing at the door, while Brett had his claws out.

They slowly walked over to the door and opened it, pointing their guns at whoever it was but they froze when they saw it was Lydia.

Amelia went to say something, but before she could, Lydia suddenly let out a scream, looking directly at Derek.

They covered their ears until the screaming stopped and slowly looked up to a slightly dazed Lydia.

They glanced at each other for a moment, knowing exactly what that means.

Amelia let out a shakey breath.

"Come on Lyds, let's get you home." She said, directing Lydia out of the loft.

When Amelia got back home after dropping Lydia off, she turned to her brother with watery eyes, his eyes soften.

"Der-" She said in a broken whispered and he nodded and pulled her into him.

"Shhhh, I know Lia."

Breaden looked at the teenagers and motion for them to go to bed and leave the siblings alone.

Derek looked at the duffel bag full of cash with pursed lips, "Okay." He said.

Scott looked at him confused, "Don't you wanna know why it took so long to return it?"

Derek just smiled slightly "How much do you make at the animal clinic?" He asked as Amelia and Zander sat down on the arm of the couch next to him.

"Minimum wage." Scott answered.

Derek nodded and shrugged, "That's why. Everyone can be tempted, Scott- even a True Alpha."

Scott still just looked at him confused. "You're not angry?"