9

Meli and I simultaneously nodded to each other and began running at the door. I kicked it open, turning around to face Diane so that I was running backwards.

"Diane!" I called out to the giant, who turned away from the village and toward me. "It's him!"

Here eyes widened for a moment, but soon returned to their normal size as she stood to her full height, nodding. She began to walk alongside Meli and I, who were running over to where we sensed him.

We booked it into the town, spotting Ban and a small boy fighting, while two children hid behind a nearby wall. The boy was hovering above him, standing on a spear as Ban shoved his hand upward at him. Shit, he's going to use his power on King!

I turned toward Meli, who nudged his head in the direction of the kids. I nodded, running over to them. There was a boy with dark brown hair who was hugging a girl, holding her close to him- they were most likely brother and sister. I kneeled in front of them, and he hugged her tighter.

"G-get away from us!" He shouted, obviously trying to look brave.

"Hey, it's okay, guys. I'm here to help you," I said kindly, smiling, before pointing up at the entrance to the village. "I need you to go that way, okay? None of us want you to get hurt, but we can't protect you and stop the fighting at the same time."

The boy looked apprehensive, but the small girl finally spoke up. "Are you with that boy or the tall mister who saved me?"

I smiled, "As of right now, I'm with Ban, the man who saved you."

"Then we should do what she says!" The girl said to her brother, turning toward him with a determined stare. He pursed his lips for a moment, glaring at me. After a few more seconds of contemplating, he nodded, grabbing his sister's hand and running toward the front of the village. They were a small distance away from the Boar Hat- so if need be, I could bring them to the tavern so that they were safe.

Once they were a good distance away from the group, I walked back over to where everyone was. Ban was staring at Meli with a frown, and Diane was staring at King curiously.

"Is everyone out of attack-mode?" I asked jokingly, and everyone turned to face me. The flying boy's eyes widened, and I waved at him with a grin. "Hey there, King. It's been quite a while, huh?"

His gaze turned stony, and he crossed his arms. He looked anywhere but at me. It seemed, however, that Ban had not caught on to what was happening. He was staring at me with wide eyes, pointing at King.

"HOW IN THE HELL IS THAT KING?!?"

I raised an eyebrow at him, cocking my head to the side. "Huh? You mean you didn't recognize the magical aura he gave off?"

"There's no way that midget is King!"

"No matter how you look at it, that's King." Meli said nonchalantly, reinforcing my point. He looked at King, putting his fingers on his chin quizzically. "Well, I guess he has lost a bit of weight..."

"THAT'S WAY MORE THAN A BIT!" Ban yelled, waving his hands in King's direction. "But that's not at all the issue here!!!"

"King!!" Diane squealed at the sin, smiling widely. "We've been looking for you! I've missed you a whole bunch- it's super awesome to see you!"

King turned away from the group, facing the large forest that surrounded the village. He flew away, taking his spear with him. My eyes widened in surprise. I would have expected a reaction like that to Ban... maybe me and the captain, but not Diane. She's always been the only one King truly liked to be around.