39

• Two Hours Earlier •

Ban lay in the ground, coughing up the remnants of blood in his esophagus. You had just stormed away, on the brink of tears, because of him. The words echoed in his brain, not showing any signs of ceasing, making themselves ever-present. Elizabeth stood, one of her hands outstretched in your direction. A frown graced her features, and worry was prominent in her eyes.

"... you aren't a burden..." she finished her shout in a whisper, knowing fully that even if she went after you and told you this, you would still feel horrible, and you probably wouldn't believe her. She could tell you thought she was afraid- the way horror struck your face when you saw hers made that too obvious. However, she wasn't. In her eyes, you were one of her best friends in the Sins, and to see you as emotionally unstable as you were really hurt her. Conflicted as she was, Elizabeth's Princess-sense (if you can call it that) was activating. She had to deal with the issues at hand and deal with other issues later. If, that is, she could refer to both you and Ban as issues.

She slid down the side of the crater, almost slipping, down to Ban, who was still laying in the dirt. He stared up at the sky, a nearly unreadable expression gracing his features, which only those who knew him very well recognized as him being conflicted. Very conflicted- and not often did he wear such an emotion. She rushed down to his side, laying one of her hands on his chest while the other stayed by her side.

She went easy on me. I can't fucking believe her.

"Sir Ban, are you okay?!"

She was pissed beyond belief, and she still didn't have the heart to hurt me to the best of her ability.

"Sir Ban!"

Funny thing is, I don't think she even realized she was holding back.

"Sir Ban, please answer me!"

"I'm fine," he finally responded, his voice gruff and upset as he shrugged her hand off and stood up. Elizabeth's eyebrows furrowed, and she quickly followed suit, rushing to follow behind the Fox Sin.

"But (y/n)!" She insisted, "She just attacked you with her full force!"

"No, she didn't," Ban huffed, beginning to trudge of the crater that was your arena. "Princess, she was holding back. A lot. You haven't seen (y/n) fight for real- I don't think you ever will. I don't think you'll ever see any of us fight for real."

"Holding... back..?" She asked, still following behind him. "But you didn't retaliate."

"Yeah."

"Why? It looked like she was hurting you," she pushed. Frankly, she was beginning to annoy Ban now. Well, not begin. Continuing to annoy him, but more than usual. So many thoughts and emotions were running through his head, his brain and body could hardly articulate one cohesive thought, much less express what he was feeling. He didn't want to deal with a pushy kid who wanted to play hero, not right now. He'd already had that kid- Katts, was his name?- who he tolerated, he must admit, asking him unendingly about the 'wonders of being one of the Eight Deadly Sins', and he didn't need some 16-year-old doing the same, but with his feelings.

"Look, Princess, I appreciate the concern and all, but you need to back off," Ban grumbled, glaring at the now grassy floor. They had finally exited the crater, making their way into the large clearing he and you had fought in. "(Y/N) has her reasons for shit, and I have mine. Not everyone is one of your subjects. We don't have to follow your orders."

Ban sped ahead of her, leaving her behind as he stormed to the bar. Gowther, Meliodas, and King stood by the patio, and Diane was sitting with her legs crossed, watching the Fox Sin curiously. Elizabeth's eyes widened in surprise. It was abundantly clear to her now that Ban was extremely upset- but not at her. It was one of two things, the second being the most likely of the two.