17

"I FOUND HER!"

The shout came from the town below, where villagers had gathered in front of a small fruit stand. I darted over to the ledge, where I had assumed the noises had originated. Ellie had followed me, only she had more cautiously leaned over the wall. I furrowed my brows, watching the scene before me.

A few villagers, all male, were cowering before a Holy Knight on a horse. He was staring down at them through his helmet, glaring, by the looks of it.

"I came over here when I heard the ruckus," the Holy Knight spoke coldly, his deep voice echoing through the quiet area. "But I don't see anything worthwhile. Where is the fugitive?"

"I-I'm sorry for disturbing you!" The villager said desperately. I recognized him, he was the one who originally recognized Ellie as the girl on the wanted poster. "She ran away as soon as I talked to her! I saw her run over here with another group of people, but they disappeared... I thought I saw her hiding in this shop, but it wasn't her."

"Is that a Holy Knight?" Hawk asked quietly from my right. I nodded.

"Yeah," I growled, narrowing my eyes at him. My hand gravitated toward the whip attatched to the skirt I was wearing, that I HATED, by the way. "Stay up here- I'll intervene if it gets ugly."

"It can't be..." Ellie whispered to herself, "Griamore..?"

"I cannot be sure whether or not you are telling the truth," the Knight said, getting off his high horse (both figuratively and literally. His horse was really tall). "But what I do know is that you are currently unable to back up what you claimed with actual proof."

"B-but you said if we find the fugitives we'd be excused from taxes and fines!"

"Yes, yes... but if the report is false," the Holy Knight hummed, unsheathing his sword. "It is punishable by death."

I was ready to intervene, I pulled out my whip and was preparing to jump off the ledge. However, my attempt was cut short by none other than Ellie.

"STOOOOP!" She yelled, causing my head to snap in her direction. She was sliding down a drainage pipe on the side of the building we were in. My eyes widened.

"ELLIE!" I shouted back, jumping down after her. I dived in the air feet-first, landing just after she did. I looked at her, standing beside her as everyone turned to face us in surprise. I muttered, "What the hell are you doing?"

She stomped her foot forward, turning their attention to her. "That man is not lying, I'm right here! Let him go!" She shouted, glancing back at me and mouthing. 'Go with it'.

I shrugged, stepping forward as well. I smirked, putting my hand on my hip. "And not only do you have her, you have one of the eight most wanted criminals in the kingdom. The so-called orchestrator of it all, (y/n), the Raven Sin of Despond."

"Your courage is admirable," said the Holy Knight, turning away from the man. He seemed to be addressing Ellie more than he was addressing me. "To come out here on your own-" he glanced at me, I grinned and waved- "at first is rather admirable. It seems it has been a while since we've seen each other, Lady Elizabeth."

Ellie growled from under her breathe, "Griamore, you come from a lineage of Holy Knights that has served Liones for hundreds of years! I will never forget this betrayal!" She enunciated her words very effectively. I felt a little guilty and she wasn't even talking about or to me.

The Holy Knight reached for her, but I stepped in front of him. I narrowed my eyes, and he did the same back. "Hands off, big guy. I'm her body guard, so back off."