54

"I've lost. Just kill me."

A deathly silence fell over the group- shock, anger, and disappointment rippling throughout the room in waves. The majority of the Sins were staring down at Dreyfus with distaste, including me. He killed his brother because of his own stupid agenda- and threw in some of the kingdom's greatest protectors and turned them to fugitives. It's not that I don't understand- it was just the wrong move to make. Then there was the King, who was, not angered or shocked, but just entirely disappointed- like he had known all along, but wished it hadn't been true. The most emotional were the Holy Knights and princesses. Gilthunder looked livid, and Guila looked shocked and hurt. Princess Margaret looked on the brink of tears, upset over the entire thing, and Ellie looked shocked, but somewhat understanding. Tears fell from Hauser's eyes as he stared up at his mentor, hurt, shocked, angry, betrayed. He seemed to be feeling every bad emotion there was to feel- I felt bad for him.

"Why..?" He mumbled, trembling as he looked up at the man he once dreamed to be like. His voice grew to a desperate shout, "Why?!"

"After... after that," Dreyfus swallowed thickly, looking at the floor, ashamed. "Hendrickson's personality changed drastically... I didn't know why, and I certainly didn't expect it to come as far as him wanting to resurrect the demon realm. The rift between us became a chasm quicker than I would care to admit, and to put me in my place, he killed my son... though, I suppose that is my fault too, though... I don't understand- all I wanted to be was a good father to my son..."

His face scrunched up in pain as he stared at the floor, clearly trying desperately not to cry. But his tears began to flow unceasingly after Ellie spoke up.

"Holy Knight Griamore," the Princess said, "Is still alive."

The man started crying hysterically- tears of regret or happiness, I don't know. His fists clenched painfully by his side as crocodile tears seeped down his cheeks. I smiled softly, despite what a jackass he was. He told it how it was- all he wanted to do was be a good dad. He thought he failed his son- and maybe he did- but at least it didn't cost the person he cared for most their life. I wonder... is that how mine felt...?

"Don't worry about it, Dreyfus!" Meli cheered brightly, making the attention turn to him. The sad and dreary mood of the room lifted slightly at his voice- he always had a weird way of making everything much better than it really was. "All's well that ends well!"

Everyone grinned and the mood seemed to lighten a bit. The Dawn Roar people moved to imprison Dreyfus- while he had been quite the admirable father and Holy Knight (kind-of), he was still one of the true betrayers of the kingdom, and they couldn't let that go unpunished. Hauser has stopped crying and shared a few remorseful words with his mentor. The Sins grouped off, talking mindlessly with others, and Guila stood next to Jericho and... a kid.

When did he get here?

I bounced over to Guila, giving her a wide grin as I did. She returned it with a small smile, and when I reached her, she spoke, "Hello, (y/n)," she then bowed respectfully, "I wish to offer you my fullest apologies for what I have done to you in the past. My actions were-"

"Entirely just and not in any way, shape, or form evil," I interrupted, grabbing her shoulder and making her stand up. She was about the same height as I was. I grinned at her, "I would've done the same thing in your position, so I completely understand what you were doing. It's not your fault. You were just going by what your higher-ups has told you," I laughed, beaming at her, "So there's no hard feelings."

She smiled, "It seems you truly are the most merciful of the Sins."

"I get that a lot," I chuckled brightly, then turned to the kid. "Who's this little guy?"