92

"Three little girls..." I heard a mumble from the other side of our rock. I looked finding two completely covered figures. They both wore ghost-like masks, the taller one was much more elongated, while the shorter one had a face of a typically jack-o-lantern. They both had grey, long-sleeved hoods with black belts and pants, with grey boots. They both had daggers. I couldn't tell which one had spoken. "Hehe... should be quite easy, no? All in a days work for assassins..."

"Yes..." Spoke the other one, which I noted was the taller one. He swayed, then he sped toward us. "All in a days work..."

He jumped up, swinging his knife at Elaine. I raised my hand, a loop of fire wrapping around his waist. I swiped my hand forward. and he was launched into the floor. A small crater formed below him.

"First of all," I spoke, realizing my hand to my side and stalking toward his form. I glared down at him. "You should fight the front-liner, because typically they are the ones who will give you the most trouble."

I pressed my foot against his chest and he choked out. "Second," I leaned down, glaring threateningly at him. "Don't touch them."

"Brother!"

Suddenly smoke surrounded me and I growled, feeling the man being swept up from under me. There was the rattling of chains, and suddenly, there was a stabbing sensation in my shoulder. I looked at it, eyebrows raised. There was a snake attached to a chain and it's teeth were sunk into my shoulder. I rolled my eyes, ripping it out of my skin and squeezing off it's head.

"That's all three of them, it's over..."

"Wait, no! Look above!"

"Wrath of the Autumn Wind!"

There was a powerful burst of wind from above us, blowing away the smoke and pressing down the enemies. I covered my face, looking up to find Elaine with her arms outstretched downward. I grinned, flashing her a thumbs up. She beamed back, blushing.

The wind stopped, and they were immobile on the floor. The taller one's arm had been obliterated. She floated down, glaring down at them. I looked over to her, smiling. 

"Hey, hun, would you mind grabbing Ellie for me?" 

She nodded, turning around. She quickly grabbed her and brought her back, so she was standing next to me. I eyed her shoulder, which was uninjured, but the fabric of her clothing had been ripped open. I turned my gaze back to the men.

"Do you think you can heal them?" I asked her, "To an extent, of course."

"Of course!" She replied, kneeling next to them. Their entire bodies glowed with an iridescent sea green. 

"Why are we healing them? They tried to kill us," Elaine asked. I smiled.

"Well, I know for a fact she wouldn't let me kill them," I chuckled, then watched as their wounds healed. "And they're fighting for their lives, too. They don't deserve to die. There aren't many who do."

"It sounds like you speak from experience."

"Well, I don't think my experience holds a candle to yours, you certainly didn't deserve what happened to you," I chuckled sadly, looking to the floor as the faces of the innocent people I had slaughtered flashed before me. "But I guess you could say I have a lot of redeeming to do. I guess saving people like them is part of it... although, I'm not really doing the saving, am I?"

Elaine smiled, placing a hand on my shoulder. "You know, Ban isn't the only one I watched from the afterlife. I know what has happened to you as well."

"Terrible person, right?" I asked without missing a beat, staring darkly at the floor. She giggled.

"Quite the opposite, actually," She grinned at me, "I think you are a wonderful person- always have been."