15

Okay, so I was rereading the chapter and editing it, as I always do, and I was looking over some of the shit I wrote and it's.... kinda disturbing. If you're uncomfortable when it comes to blood and stuff like that, just skip over the up-and-coming dream sequence. It's all purely story-driven... but jeez. I didn't know I was that messed up...

————————————————————————

"So, what's going on in the kingdom right now? Why did the Holy Knights suddenly decide to stage a coup d'etat?" Meli asked (yes, he actually said that. I had to look up what it meant to get a sense of what I was even writing -_-), looking at King, who seemed to be deep in thought. There was a lot to contemplate at the moment; we were all aware that the best course of action would be to search for either Ban's, Meli's, or Diane's sacred treasure, but we had no leads as to where they were, or whether or not they were still in Liones. The question was rather unimportant at the moment.

"I'm not sure," King frowned, his eyebrows furrowing slightly. "But I do know that somethings wrong with the Holy Knights as a general population. It's their sworn duty to protect the people, yet instead of doing so, they prepare for war. The castle is on high alert as well- I hear nobody except approved Holy Knights can enter or exit..."

Ellie's eyes lit up as she heard that, and she hurriedly shouted; "U-uhm, Lord King! Are my father and sisters okay?"

"I apologize, but I have not been there in person..." he replied, seeming genuinely apologetic for not being able to give her a proper answer.

"Oh..." she said quietly, looking down at the floor, sadly. "I... I see..."

There was an uncomfortable silence that lasted an unnecessarily long time. All of us seemed to be lost in our own thoughts, thinking about various parts of the upcoming mission. It was a few moments before the captain finally spoke.

"I think it's time we all head inside," he said, "It's late and we need sleep."

"Yeah," I replied over-enthusiastically, "I agree! This awkward silence has gone on for too long."

I turned toward the tavern, the first one to head for the door. When I pushed it open, there was a small 'cling' that came from the bell attatching to the top of the door frame. The bar was empty- which was to be expected, since we were in a town with no living residents- but it was still rather odd to see a place that should be bustling with activity entirely empty.

I yawned, bending backwards with my hands on the small of my back so that my spine cracked. After I felt the rising tension in my muscles be relieved, I returned to my normal standing position and began making my way up to Ellie and I's shared room. When I entered, I nearly fell back down the stairs when I saw a shirtless Ban passed out on- what used to be- Ellie's bed.

My first question was how in the world he got up here before me. My second question was why the hell he was in Ellie's bed. My third question was how he fell asleep so fast.

I groaned, walking down the hall to Meli's room. I kicked open the door, cheeks puffed out and hands on my hips. He was closing the window, while chatting calmly with Ellie, who was sitting on his bed.

"Why the hell is Ban in her bed?" I demanded, and Meli glanced over his shoulder at me. He grinned.

"Yeah, he decided that bed was his about ten minutes ago," he chuckled, before wiggling his eyebrows at me. "I thought it was a win-win situation. I sleep with Elizabeth and you sleep with Ban."

"Oh, shut up!" I huffed, my cheeks flushing lightly. "And there is no way she is sleeping with you!"

"Don't worry, (y/n)," Hawk's voice sighed from behind me. I looked, finding the pig with a large rope in his mouth. "I've got that part covered. No way am I gonna let that pervert sleep with Elizabeth without the necessary precautions."