32

We had all gathered outside of the Boar Hat, discussing topics of various origin. We had come to this town due to a rumor King had heard about the Eight Deadly Sins being here, but we all thought it was pretty safe to assume that it was the group of kids that he heard about. There was little doubt in my mind that they had proclaimed to some Holy Knight apprentices that they were the infamous Eight Deadly Sins. 

I was sitting on the roof next to Ban, King hovering near Diane while Meli stood on the ground next to Ellie and Hawk.

"They were roommates, y'know!" King spoke, conveying his shock with his expression as he finished his story.

"Oh, my god, they were roommates?" I asked, face wide with surprise as well. Ban probably wasn't listening, it was pretty obvious that he was zoning out. He had this face that he did when he was out of it- his eyebrows slightly furrowed as he stared with his lips pursed into the distance.

I nudged him, and his head shot to the side. He glared upon seeing me, "Oh. It's you."

My eyes widened in shock. It had been a very long time since he addressed me like that, but it seemed I had the routine engraved in my bodily code. I shrank backward, pulling my hood down further over my head and looking away, a downcast expression making its way to my face.

"Sorry to bother you..." I muttered, frowning slightly. He didn't respond.

• Third Person •

King glared at Ban from the side, seeing my reaction to his words. He knew very well what was happening, and he was not about to allow that no-good greedy bastard tear down your already tarnished self-esteem like he used to. Ban looked away from you and towards the nearby woods, his face stoic, or rather, attempting to be stoic.

I don't care, he thought to himself. I don't care. I don't care. I don't care at all. Who cares?     (Y/N)'s just a dumb girl with a dumb crush. I'm in love with someone else. Yeah, I'm in love. I don't care.

King was about to cut in, his cheeks puffing out in frustration as he got ready to give Ban a piece of his mind. However, you had also been briefly rebuilding your courage as well. You weren't the shy, want-to-fit-in girl you used to be. You didn't care anymore what people thought of you- er, well... for the most part. The Sins, as well as a select few others, were the only exception to this rule.

Although, you never particularly cared for Gowther's opinion.... 

"Hey, Ban... did I-" do something to make you mad?

Your question was abruptly cut off by a surge of magical power coming from the woods, as well as a loud roar. It echoed loudly through the woods, seeming to reach the town easily. There was a large cluster of magical power around where it seemed to originate.

"Do you think that magical power is from the same monster as the roar?" King asked, turning to Meliodas, who was staring into the woods. "It's eerily similar to that of a Holy Knight's..."

"They should be separate," the blonde responded, "A man couldn't make that sort of sound."

"It's not just one either," You spoke, quickly standing and joining them on the ground. Ban followed suit, standing on the side of the group opposite of where you were standing. "There's a cluster around it- five or six Holy Knights, including the strong one, at least."

"RUUUUUUNNNN! THE ARMORED GIANT IS HERE!" Someone came barreling out of the woods, blood dripping from a wound just under his light brown bowl cut. He was a Holy Knight Apprentice, you and the other Sins could tell vaguely from the purify he was wearing.