70

The meal with Hauser went rather smoothly from there. I couldn't get the image of him demanding that he marry me out of my head, but I still had fun. I had pretty much forgotten about the whole argument between King and Ban- and was just focused on having a good time (for the first time in forever). The kingdom was celebrating us tomorrow and we just beat Hendrickson. I have absolutely nothing be upset about. If those two choose to be upset, they can go right ahead, because I just don't care anymore.

"I have to go help with the rebuilding," Hauser said, "Sorry to cut it short."

"No no, you're fine!" I hummed, smiling gratefully at him. "Thanks for cheering me up Hauser. I don't know how I got so lucky, but I'm glad we got to hang out."

His cheeks erupted in a bright pink, and he scratched the back of his head, chuckling nervously. "I-It's no problem! Anything to help you out."

"Still," I smiled, moving toward him. "Thanks."

I wrapped my arms around his torso, resting my head against the area just below his shoulder. His entire body tensed up at the contact and he froze, going stiff upon contact. I remained pressed against him for a few moments, then pulled away, grinning widely at him. His face was flushed pink and he was still frozen in the same position.

"See you tomorrow!" I laughed, then turned around and walked down the street. There were a few buildings which had been destroyed, but it didn't seem to bad in this area of the city. The northern part of the capital was where the real damage had been done.

I sighed, frowning slightly as I watched the citizens rebuilding. Men of particular buffness carried large planks of wood and hammered them into place, creating the structures back from scratch. I was tempted to help, but... I'm sure they wouldn't want it from me. Besides, all I can really do is lift heavy stuff and set shit on fire.

I continued walking down the streets, keeping to myself, but occasionally window shopping as I passed various stores and merchant booths (which had been set up in place of destroyed buildings). I didn't buy anything, as nothing seemed to strike me as a necessity (and I didn't have any money), but I did enjoy looking at all of the products and keeping myself occupied. I simply wandered, talking with various townspeople, who thanked me. Quite honestly, I didn't think I deserved the thanks. I didn't really do anything.

Still, it was nice to see that people appreciated what the team did. It seemed like they really didn't believe we were traitors now, save for a few skeptics, who glared at me when I walked past.

I had now found myself now on the western side of the Capitol, strolling down streets, getting approached every so often. Holy Knights who were helping to rebuild occasionally came up and thanked me, or asked me to train them. Which I awkwardly refused, by the way. Me? Training someone? Yeah, right. Maybe in smart remarks- that won't be all that smart... or funny.

"(Y/N), (y/n)!" A familiar, childish voice called out, distracting me from my thoughts and making a big grin form on my face. You know what? Maybe this morning was just to get all of my bad luck for today out of the way.

A small girl with hair that matched mine and eyes that matched Ban's barreled toward me. My smile faltered upon thinking of him, but I shook it off as Emma came charging toward me at full speed, a large group of children following faithfully behind her. Pelio and Meera (who was holding Eric) were directly behind her, matching her speed.

"Hey there, kiddos!" I grinned widely (noticing vaguely how much I sounded like a "cool" dad), opening my arms as she, Meera, Eric (kinda), and Pelio practically dove into my arms. I passed noogies all around, except for Eric, who I poked on the nose and gave a raspberry. He laughed excitedly, grabbing at my cheeks happily. "How'd you do? Didja kick some ass for me?"