56

The entire world seemed to stop, which was odd because havoc was being wreaked. Diane had been knocked down by the Jericho-monster, finally losing the battle of strength against the demon creature. King was fighting that fairy, and seemed to be determined not to hurt him- almost as though he couldn't bear to. Gilthunder was down for the count, getting worse by the second because of Hendrickson's attack; both Margaret and Vivian were doing their best to help him, but nothing seemed to be working. Gowther was helping Guila stay in her human form, but seemed to be struggling to do so; Zeal constantly asking him whether she was going to be okay or not didn't seem to be helping either. Dawn Roar was somewhere within the rubble, and all of them seemed to be out of commission and unable to help with the battle. Meli was injured, bleeding in countless places and freaking out because of Ellie's capture. I was frozen still, unable to take my eyes off of the crimson-eyed man that stood in the center of it all. Something was different about him; he was off. He had a four-sectioned staff- one that he must have stolen at some point because I am certain he didn't have it before. Hawk stood beside him- it seemed that he had been launched off during the collapse of the building, and only just now returned.

"Ban! Help me! Hendrickson just took Elizabeth!" Meli shouted, and the world seemed to resume. My mind whirled with options- who needed my help most urgently and what I should do. Ban and I were the most physically 'okay' at the moment, save for maybe Gowther. I would need to save the 'touching reunion' for later.

"What?!" Hawk huffed, "I'm gone for two minutes and they take her again?!"

"Hawk?" The captain asked, "You're back."

"Yeah, but that's the least do our worries! You're half-dead, get some rest!" The pig demanded, then swiveled back to me and Ban. "Ban! (Y/N)! Come with me to rescue Elizabeth!"

"I'm coming too," grained Meli, climbing onto Hawk's back.

"Sure," I shrugged, standing up and walking up to him. I looked back at Ban as I walked, my face scrunching up in confusion. He wasn't even looking at me or Hawk. He wasn't looking at any of the destruction or fighting going on around us- he was zoned in directly on Meli. The hell..?

"You're coming with me, right?!" Hawk asked Ban, then noticed his expression. "Right..?"

"...we've got to help everyone else first," I said, eyeing Ban as he walked toward the three of us. Somethings wrong.

"Ban, what's the matter with you? You aren't thinking anything weird, are you?" Hawk asked, circling the man and sniffing at him.

"Ban," Meli spoke, hacking up a glob of blood and panting. "Why are you so quiet? Is there something you need to say to me?"

I glanced between the two, grasping on the whip on my side. The phrase repeated in my head. Somethings wrong, somethings wrong.

"Yeah," the Fox Sin said after a moment of hesitation, "I love ya, cap'n~"

My eyes widened as he raised his arm up, holding the weapon in his hand. He then slammed it down, an attack- that could've easily killed the captain in his state- being sent flying toward him. It slammed through the ground, the rubble and stone in its path being demolished as it went flying at its target. I growled, darting in front of the blonde, who couldn't move out of the way fast enough. I held up my whip, barely getting in front of him in time to block the large-scale attack.

"The fuck?!" I demanded as the smoke cleared, glaring at Ban. He stared at me hatefully.

"Shit..." Meli mumbled from behind me, looking up at me. I looked down at him, meeting his gaze, "I could've died... thanks."