65

As Meli's attack went crashing into, and through, Hendrickson's body, a look of disbelief crossed the demon's features. It was almost as though he couldn't believe he had been bested by us. Ha, I can practically imagine it- To be bested by the likes of you?!?! Arggg I'm a bad guy who used to be a good guy and has a really confusing timeline argggg. His body shriveled up, disappearing into ash, which was also destroyed from the sheer power of the attack. He simply disappeared, and as he did so, the captain came crashing downward, falling, slumped over, with a loud crash onto the disheveled ground.

He attempted to stand, flashing a grin toward us- but mainly toward Ellie. He was covered in dirt and grime and blood, one of his eyes half closed because he couldn't open it any further, and his balance wobbly. However, just after standing up, he fell back onto the ground with a resounding thud. I sighed at his stupidity, while Diane, Ellie, and King cried out in alarm.

I smiled as Ellie ran over, bringing his head into her lap and fussing over him. However, my content approval was interrupted by the loud clearing of a royal throat. I gasping in shock, jumping backward as King Bartra suddenly appeared beside me, as though out of thin air. Merlin was just behind him. I had jumped back into something solid.

"Ahem," the King spoke as I looked back curiously, "You two... please keep your distance..!"

My eyes widened as I found Ban directly behind my, my shoulder blades pressed just below his pectorals. Wait- I mean, I found Asshole directly behind me. He flashed a smirk down at me, eyebrow raised suggestively. I thought I felt a flush rising up, but then a realized something.

How could he act so casual after all he had put me through in the span of the last few hours?

Instead of a flush, anger made its way to my face, along with unintentional tears. God, why am I such a crybaby..?! I glared up at him, roughly elbowing his body away from me and stepping forward, crossing my arms, clutching the fabric of my cloak on my left arm, realizing vaguely there was nothing to grasp on my right side. I had cut my arm off. Right. Something flashed across his eyes when my expression had changed from wide-eyed surprise to hurt anger, something I couldn't pinpoint. Annoyance? Nah, if he's annoyed, I'll kick his ass. Sadness? But he never gets sad... Anger? Eh, scratch that. Not realistic. Maybe... regret? No, he's was past that... right..?

I blinked a few times, huffing indignantly as I returned my attention to the scene before us. Ellie was gazing, rather confused, up at Merlin, who was smiling in that way she always smiled. The King was sweatdropping, and Meli seemed determined to have his head back in Ellie's lap. It seemed, however, that there was a more important issue at hand, as all of the Holy Knights were bowing down at the King and our group. Mostly the King, though. Probably. Maybe evenly between us and King Bartra...

"Your majesty, please impose us with the most harsh punishments for our Sins!" A Holy Knight in the front shouted.

Your Sins?

"Please forgive us!" Another shouted.

"We apologize, you majesty," A third, "You must realize..!"

"We apologize your majesty," Gilthunder said from the front, "We allowed ourselves to be fooled by a man who plotted to overthrow the kingdom and resurrect the Demon Clan. In the end, we lost our way..."

A boy with blue hair, who looked sort-of like Jericho was sweating- he seemed to ashamed. "We became drunk on the idea of a Holy War, when we should have been protecting the citizens... we have shamed ourselves with our insolence to you! You were absolutely right in your want to avoid this Holy War and protect the futures of the people!"

"Huh..?" The quiet question escaped my lips as I cocked my head to the side, staring in confusion at all of the Holy Knights, who were kneeled down in low bows, begging for punishment. Why would they need to be punished?