Chapter 7: Shame On You

'Yana must have forgotten to bring a tampon with her,' Alina thought. "Do you have tampons in the classroom? I can get one for you if you want," she offered.   

"No, I don't. I didn't think I would get my period today." The blood drained from Yana's face. Her period had always been irregular.   

Alina decided to go to the store and buy some for her. "What brand do you like? Do you have any preferences? I could go and buy some for you."   

The truth was, Yana didn't want to be a burden to anyone, especially not Alina. This was embarrassing for her and they weren't that close. It also didn't help that she allowed their classmate to take the love letter from Alina's desk.   

Yana was silent for a long moment while she tried to sort out her complicated feelings. "I'm okay with anything," she finally said.

Alina turned around and ran outside without another word. As soon as Alina ran out the door, she remembered that she didn't know where the store was, so she turned back and asked, "Yana, could you tell me where the store is?"   

Yana thought that Alina was joking with her. She replied, "What? You've been studying here for so long. How could you not know where the store is?" She couldn't help but raise her voice. The pain was getting to her and wearing her patience thin.   

"Well… I bumped my head when I fell down the stairs, so my memories are all over the place. I didn't want to waste any time, so I thought I should just ask you." Alina's explanation seemed valid.   

'No wonder she has been acting differently. It turns out that her head is affected by the injury.' This comforted Yana and eased her doubts. "The store is on the right side of the school gate."   

"Thank you." Alina quickly left the washroom and ran out. It was almost time for class.

By the time she reached the gate, the bell was ringing. She rushed into the store and asked, "Sir, where are the tampons? Please give me one pack!" The shop owner lazily pointed to one of the shelves.   

Alina swiftly walked towards the shelf, already out of breath. She took the pack with one hand, then reached into her pocket with the other. Then, she realized that she left her money in her backpack.   

"Sir, I'm sorry, but I came in a hurry and forgot to bring my money with me. Could I pay you later after my class ends?" Alina felt uncomfortable haggling with the owner.

The storekeeper was reluctant and said, "I don't know which class you're in."   

"I'm in Class 126. My name is Alaina Li. I left my money in my backpack. I'll come over and pay for this as soon as my class ends. Please," Alina begged pitifully.   

The storekeeper couldn't bear to see the girl beg like this. A pack of tampons only cost a few dollars. Even if she didn't pay, he wouldn't lose much over it.   

He hesitated for a moment, but before he could nod his head in agreement, his wife walked over to them with a scowl on her face.

"Miss, we don't allow credit."

At his wife's orders, the storekeeper gave Alina an apologetic look and lowered his head. He didn't say anything more.   

Alina took a deep breath and smiled politely at the woman. "Ma'am, I think you've experienced the awkwardness of forgetting to bring a tampon during your period. My classmate is waiting for me inside the washroom. Could you please do me a favor?"   

The woman's face softened. Alina continued, "I will pay you back as soon as class ends. I can tell you my name and my class number. I can also leave my student card here if you prefer. Please do me a favor."