Chapter 83: The Selection Began

Ivy was absent-minded the whole morning.

Her desk mate Bonnie wanted to say something but stopped on a second thought. She didn't know how to comfort her.

After the morning exercise, it was the third class.

The head teacher stood in the corridor and looked at the students in the classroom, wondering who should go.

Noticing the head teacher wandering outside the corridor, Alina smiled.

Anyway, forty-five minutes of a class passed quickly. The bell rang. As soon as the teacher left, the head teacher came in. He looked at Ivy and then looked at Alina, hesitating.

"Mr. Su, didn't you say that the oral English competition would be held in the fourth class? Why don't our class go?" A student asked.

Mr. Su smiled, glanced at Alina and said, "Yes, Right away. Leo... "

Before Mr. Su could call another name, Ivy stood up with lines in her hand, but she was so nervous that she didn't dare to look into the teacher's eyes.

Looking at the girl who was lowering her head, Mr. Su paused and called out her name, "Ivy, come with me."

Leo, who was about to stand up, was stunned.
The boy pursed his lips discontentedly and sat still.

Ivy walked out of her seat with a notebook. Seeing that the head teacher was still standing there, she turned her head.

Seeing the unwillingness on Leo's face, Ivy bit her lips and clenched the notebook in her hand.

"Leo, come out first. I have something to tell you." Mr. Su walked over and said in a tone of discussion.

Leo looked away and didn't look at Mr. Su, as if he hadn't heard what he said.

Mr. Su felt a headache. He couldn't beat or scold his nephew. He could only coax him. "Leo, if you listen to me, I will help you invite Alaina to your home this weekend."

Leo's eyes lit up and he simply replied, "Okay."

Facing his nephew's bright eyes, Mr. Su's expression was hard to say. He had a new understanding of Alaina.

Seeing the three of them leave the classroom, Alina felt relieved and a little disappointed. She had really put her heart and soul into the rehearsal last night and this morning.

But Ivy must be more hard-working than her. She hoped that they could stand out! Soon, Alina felt relieved.

Mr. Su took Leo and Ivy to the meeting room. There were already many teachers and students from different classes.

"Please draw lots on the stage. Then you will perform in the order of your lots."

"Ivy, go draw lots." Mr. Su turned to ask Ivy to go over.

Ivy was so nervous that she stammered, "I... I go?"

It was the first time that she had participated in such a large-scale competition, and she had seen the best students in each class. As a competitor of the poor class, how could she not be nervous?

"Yes, you go." Mr. Su gave Ivy an encouraging look.

Ivy glanced at Leo quickly. Seeing that Leo looked calm and stayed out of the affair, she admired him even more.

Nervously, she walked to the stage. The teacher who was doing the registration asked, "Which class are you in?"

"Class 126."

"Class 126..." The teacher wrote it down and said, "Okay, draw lots."

Ivy took a look at Mr. Su, and then she rubbed her right hand against her body and fumbled in the draw box.

Which one? The top one or the bottom one? The left one or the right one? What if she drew the first one?

When she was hesitating, the teacher urged, "Hurry up, class 126. Other classes are waiting!"

"Oh, okay..." Ivy quickly picked one and took it out.

"What's the number? Tell me."

Ivy unfolded the paper with her shaking hands. When she saw the number on it, she was stunned. "Thirty, thirty-six."

"Thirty-six, isn't it the last one? Ah, you are so unlucky!" The students who were waiting for the draw took pleasure in her misfortune.

Ivy came to Mr. Su and Leo and handed them the paper with shame.

Mr. Su didn't take it. He asked directly, "What's the number?"

Ivy withdrew her hand and said in a low voice, "Thirty-six, the last one."

Mr. Su said nothing. He could only smile and comfort the uneasy girl. "It doesn't matter. You two can learn more. Let's sit in the back."

Anyway, they were the last one on the stage.

Although the selection was not very formal, the jury was still very powerful. There were five judges, including the vice president and director of the school, together with the best English teachers in the grade.

"The teachers and students who have drawn lots find your seats, please. The selection will begin as soon as the judges come in."

Ding... It was the bell for the fourth class.

Alina rested her chin on her hand and stared at the blackboard in a daze.

There were twelve classes in each grade of the Ming Hua High School. Each class had a program, and a program would take five minutes. It would take at least three hours to finish a round. It was such a long time. Would they have lunch?

Fortunately, she didn't go there, or she would starve for a whole noon! She felt lucky and concentrated on her lesson.

Time passed quickly. Several girls were walking together to the canteen. Seeing Joseph in front of them, Alina couldn't help wondering if the competition of class 125 was over.

Rose also saw him and asked in surprise, "Why didn't they go to the competition?"

"Maybe the competition is over." Emma replied.

"Do you think the program of our class will be selected?" One of the girls asked with curiosity.

Rose said directly, "I don't think so. It's difficult!"

"Too difficult!"

Emma thought for a while and said, "I don't think so, either."

"Alaina, what do you think?" The girl asked.

"I don't know. I haven't watched any other class's show. It's hard to draw a conclusion."

"Why are you so serious? It's just a guess, not a math problem!"

"Yes, yes. Alaina, have a guess!"

At this moment, Ivy ran over. Seeing her, everyone asked her in a hurry.

"How's the competition? Have you been selected? Is the competition over?"

"No!" Gasping for breath, Ivy said in a hoarse voice, with a sense of shame and frustration in her eyes.

"No? I saw class 125 had finished their performance. Just now, I saw Joseph go to have lunch."

"Let's talk about it later." Gasping for breath, Ivy looked at Alina and said decisively, "Come with me. It will be our class's turn soon!"

"Why do you ask her to go there? You are the one to perform, not her!" Rose was confused.

Having no time to explain, Ivy grabbed Alina's hand and ran towards the meeting room.

"Hey... Ivy, you..." Seeing them run away, Rose asked Emma and the other two girls, "How about we go there too?"