Chapter 65: Confiding

Alina could most feel the pain of losing loved ones. In the face of such sorrow, any comfort would only be useless.

Time is the best medicine to heal wounds.

She approached him, bent down and patted him on the shoulder to comfort him.

More than ten minutes later, they sat on a slope covered with grass, thoughtfully looking at the stream in front of them.

"You and your sister grew up together, right?" Taking a glance at Leo who looked sad, Alina said casually.

Leo's thoughts were somewhat distant. He shook his head slightly and said, "No, I didn't know her existence when I was a child."

Alina didn't understand. "What do you mean?"

"My sister and I grew up separately, because someone said that she would bring bad luck to the family. Then she was left in the countryside, and I am with my parents."

Alina said with disdain, "Superstition. Your parents still believe this?"

"My parents didn't believe it at first. They tried two times to take my sister home. For the first time, in fewer than two days, both my sister and I were seriously ill and almost died. For the second time, I accidentally fell down the stairs and passed out. Then, everyone believed it."

Alina opened her mouth but said nothing, because she didn't know how she got into this reality either.

"You remember all these?"

Leo shook his head. "I heard it from my elders."

"What happened later?"

"When I was about to go to primary school, I knew that I had a sister. At that time, I envied those who had sisters, so I begged my parents to take me back here."

"When we first met, I called her sister, but she ignored me and threw something at me..." Speaking of this, Leo smiled innocently like a child.

"The first time I saw her, I liked her very much. I felt happy to have a sister who is related to me by blood."

Alina looked into the distance and listened to the boy quietly.

"I begged my parents to take me here every month. At last, my sister was willing to respond to me when I called her."

"But then, there was something wrong with my family's business. My parents were very busy, and I was forbidden to visit my sister again."

"I was angry, but my parents didn't care about my opinion at all."

Alina sneered. Adults often ignored their children's feelings. Once something happened, they would regret it.

"Fortunately, I found another way to communicate with my sister. We wrote once a week, and then two or even three letters a week."

"After my parents' business got better, they would take me back here for the holidays, but they didn't allow me to be too close to my sister. They said a boy and a girl couldn't get too close."

Alina was shocked by this ridiculous reason.

"My sister and I went against their will. Once my parents left in advance because of something urgent, my sister took me to the field to catch loaches, right here." Leo's eyes swept over the field. "Although we were wet through, we had caught a lot of loaches, which were the most delicious loaches I have ever eaten!"

"Later we also secretly caught it once. It was a secret between my sister and me. They didn't know it except grandma."

"When I was in grade five, an educational reform was carried out and the sixth grade was established. I was directly admitted to junior high school. My family were very happy."

Alina also knew the educational reform. After the reform, to go to junior high school, one must pass the exam. If one failed the exam, he or she went to grade six.

Leo said in a low voice, "My sister also heard that I was admitted to junior high school. She was very happy. The day before we came back here, it happened to rain heavily. My sister knew I would come back, so she came here early in the morning with a bucket to catch the loaches. But when we got home, we saw her lying on the board, wet and motionless!

"I heard that when she was picked up, she was still grabbing the bucket with loaches in her hand." With his eyes closed, Leo raised his head. Two lines of tears fell from the corner of his eyes and went into his temples.

Alina looked sympathetically at the boy who was so sad. He was just a child. How sad he should be when he saw his beloved sister suddenly leave.

"Leo, don't blame yourself too much. It was just an accident."

The boy shook his head and said emotionally, "No, it was not an accident. If I wasn't born, if we weren't twins, or even if I wasn't a boy, perhaps she would be the one who lived with my parents and enjoyed everything now. I think I'm the one who brings bad luck to my family!"

After this incident, the boy's character had changed greatly. He didn't like to talk or communicate with others. He just liked to stay alone and often stared in the same direction for a whole day.

Alina knew that Leo had got into a dead end, but she didn't know how to comfort him.

"Do you know why I brought you here?" Leo suddenly turned his head to look at Alina gloomily.

Alina shivered and asked vigilantly, "Why?"

"Because you and her....very similar."

Alina was stunned. It turned out that it was because of this that his attitude towards her changed.

"Really? There are thousands of people in the world. There are always some people who are similar."

Leo stared at Alina and said, "But you didn't look like her at all before!"

Alina became nervous and she smiled, "Well, I'm still me, and I haven't changed to anyone. How can I sometimes be like her and sometimes not?"

Leo frowned. "I can't explain it clearly, but I just know you are not the same as before."

"Of course I'm not the same as before. After all, I've grown up every day and come into contact with different things every day. It's inevitable that something will change!"

"No, it's not like that. I can't explain. Anyway, you became different!"

Alina didn't want him to think too much, so she changed the topic and said, "It's getting late. Shall we go back?"

"I don't want to go back. I want to sit a little longer."

"Well, I'm going back." Alina stood up, and Leo said calmly, "Don't you hate drinking tea?"

She did hate drinking tea, but compared with drinking tea, chatting with him was more horrible.

"I've been out for so long. I'm a little thirsty. I'm going back to have some water."

"I'll go back with you." Leo looked at Alina and stretched out his right hand to her.

After a pause, Alina took his right hand and pulled him up from the ground.

They went back together.