25

The next morning in my geometry class, I get told from the teacher to go down to the councilors office. Looking towards Minho, I stand with my notebook still on the desk. I quickly walk toward the office, nervous about what she had to say.

I knock on the door before walking in. She's sitting at her desk while Kyungho is sitting with his head staring at the ground. I sit on the chair farthest away from him.

"Jisung, I called you in here because there were a few problems between you and Kyungho that we needed discuss. First off, Kyungho, would you like to speak?" She questions, her voice gentle as if she didn't want to break him.

"Jisung," he starts and I stare towards him before he lifts his head to look at me. His eyes are puffy and red while the skin around it is pale. "I'm so sorry." His voice is shaky and abnormal from his usual dark tone. "I destroyed your painting and I've bullied you ever since that party. I mean it, from the bottom of my heart, I'm sorry."

Many questions fill my head. Everything was so sudden. His expression broke my heart, even if he had beat me senseless before.

"W-why? Why did you do it?" I question, shy about speaking in front of the councilor.

He stays quiet for a minute, his gaze shifting between his hands and the adult in the room. His mouth opens and closes multiple times before he can finally speak words.

"My mom d-died at the beginning of the school year. Just weeks b-before it started. I ended up going to that party a week later where I met you. I'm sorry that I spread that rumor, it wasn't right. I wasn't in my right mind. I didn't want to be seen as a... a queer. So I made it seem like you were the receiver of it. When you called me out, I got angry and also destroyed your painting. It was beautiful, by the way. But nothing was right in my head, everything was so confusing, so I tried to carve out a path of mine that made me happy."

The news shocked me at the least; who really was Kim Kyungho?

"When you stood up to me, it really punched me in the face. I was angry before I realized what I was doing. Beating someone is not a right way to mourn someone. It doesn't help. It makes everything worse, and I am so sorry. You don't have to forgive me, but I really am sorry."

I sit there, speechless. All those times that I cursed him out for having issues, he really did have some. I felt bad even if I shouldn't. Did I forgive him? All the pain he put me through because his mom passed away?

"I... I don't forgive you. I'm sorry, but I can't. I get that your mom... passed away, but you know that's not a good reason to beat someone senselessly everyday. I will try to forgive you over time, but I can't right now. You have to realize that I have bad things going on, too. Everyone is going through shit. It may not be the same as you, but it's still something that hurts them. I'm sorry that you have to mourn your mother, I'm truly sorry for that. You're young and you need someone there for you. Please find another way for mourning her. I'm sure she was a lovely woman. She would want you to be truly happy. You're her son."

"It's okay," he says, smiling softly. "I will try my hardest to make everything up to you-"

"No," I shake my head, "I want you to find your own happiness, that's what I want you to do. You don't have to make anything up to me. It's done and over with. You need to find your own path that'll be the best for you."

"Truce?"

"Truce," I nod before standing up. I wave him
up before gently hugging him. It wasn't awkward, at least not for me, but quite sad. This poor kid had to go through so much. It was no excuse for what he did though.