58

I cry into my hands as I listen to my parents yell at each other. I had to leave the house. I couldn't stay here. I was sitting on the front porch, thinking about who I should call.

Chan needs sleep; it's late. I don't want to bother Minho. He's already stressed. Changbin...
Changbin.

- - - - -

Calling Pigunny 🐷

"Hey, what's up?"

I sniff, "s-something happened again. They're screaming at each other, a-and I don't know what to do. I feel like I can't breathe."

"I'll come get you, okay? I was just on my way home anyway. Sit tight, J."

- - - - -

My voice was wobbly when I spoke, my throat being sore, too. I had a massive headache. My arms grew bumps on them from the chilly wind; I hadn't grabbed a jacket when I left.

I looked up when I heard a car pull up, flashing it's lights into my eyes. Standing, I quickly made my way over, sitting inside the warm car.

"What happened?"

"It looked like my dad was trying to hit her," I cried, trying to wipe the tears away, but they kept coming, "I stepped in the way. I was so scared, Binnie. I've never stepped up to him. He didn't hit me, but his voice was so scary when he told me to move. I felt like I was hyperventilating."

His eyes were wide. He'd never expect my dad to be that type of person.

Oh, how little he knows.

"My mom told me to l-leave, go to a friend's house. I-I didn't want to. I didn't want to leave her, but she shoved me out of the door."

"Jesus, bud. I'm sorry. We'll come back early tomorrow, okay? She'll be okay, I promise. Eunsoo is the strongest woman I know."

When we make it to his house, he says that his parents went on a date night and wouldn't be back until tomorrow.

He sits in front of me with a tissue, wiping away my tears. He pulls me into his chest, rubbing my back gently. I tremble in his grasp, letting his familiar warmth engulf me. Usually when things like this happened, Chan would be here too.

"You'll be okay, J. It'll be okay. Do you want some ramen? It'll make you feel better."

I nod quietly, grateful for my friends. They always knew how to take care of me. These events had been happening for almost two years now. Whether Heetuk was with us or not.

I was there when the worst one happened. By myself. When I opened the door to a policeman asking where my parents were. The neighbors had called them, hearing the shouting.

I waited patiently on the couch, hugging the blanket close to my chest as I watched condensation fall from a water bottle.

"Jisung, hey, talk to me. Don't get in your head. How was your date with Minho?"

Lee Minho. My baby.

"It was fun. I bought him a bracelet. We got popcorn at the movie theater. It was really good."

"Hm, oh yeah? What did you see?"

"Frozen two again," I smile, remembering how Minho almost shot out of his seat to sing Into The Unknown with Elsa.

"Ah, that's a good movie. Felix was obsessed with the sound track after we saw it."

We talk for a few minutes until he walks back in with the ramen, the smell making me remember that I hadn't eaten since this morning. He sets it on the table, handing me chopsticks.

"Thank you. I'm sorry if I bothered you. I just didn't know what to do."

"You don't have to apologize every time, Sung. It's okay. That's what friends are for. You're like a brother to me. I'll always be here."

_____

Thank you for 20k!•