Chapter 31

A pack of cigarettes was scattered on the floor. Ashtray was full. Zaryab was working and working. He had dark circles under her eyes. The sound of a thunderstorm echoed in the room, making Zaryab jerk.

"How beautiful and romantic two lovers are kissing in this rain. "Zaryab was laughing and checking his mail on his phone. Mehmal's head was in his arms. They were both enjoying the rainy season with pakoras and tea.

" why you laughed?" She asked

" It happened only in movies. In real life, you would be more concerned about your hair. I'll be trying to see in heavy rain," he said Mehmal laughed " Yeah ok,, not heavy rain," she said " The rain dance and kissing you are talking about can only happen in your London, not here in Pakistan. People will start beating me even I'm your husband. Why I need to kiss you in the rain outside," he said Mehmal slapped his chest " Ruin my romantic mood" Saying this, she removed her head. She was about to get up when Zaryab pulled her towards him. Now they were looking at each other. He said. " We can enjoy ourselves here, "  he said and leaned towards her.

The sound of thunder makes him come back to the present. He was watching the rain from the window on the lawn. He can see Mehmal sitting on the couch, enjoying the rain. Zaryab smiled and walked out of the room to go downstairs, looking at her closely. He slides the living room door, which is opened on the lawn. Mehmal was looking at him. She was still there enjoying the rain on the couch. " Mehmal, you will get cold. What will Mama baba say? We are not in our flat" Zaryab looked at himself beside him. He tried to touch the figure beside him when the light in the room faded away everything.

" ZARYAB" Zaryab turned when someone switched on the living room's light. He looked back. It was her mother. He turned back to the lawn Mehmal wasn't there.

" Zaryab, what are you doing here, beta," Zarmeena asked him. He didn't say anything and walked upstairs. In his room, he kicked the pack of cigarettes scattered on the floor.

" I can't live without you. I'm sorry. Please come back. I'm guilty. I realise my mistake, please," he was yelling, sobbing uncontrollably.

The next dayُ, Dr Yousaf called Suleman. He wanted to meet Sania Sikandar. Suleman respected him so much that he took him to meet his aunt.
In the living room, Mehmal wasn't at home, so Suleman was preparing the tea. Dr Ali Yousaf talked to Sania about her health.

Suleman has come with tea. After a while, Dr Yousaf talked about Emer. " Behan, You know Emer, Mehmal's boss and Ezra's uncle?" he said. Sania nodded " You have an idea of her past tragedy, " he said

" Yeah, a little bit, but he is a nice mature gentleman, " Sania said, and Suleman agreed.

"I thought how he would be for Our Mehmal," he said.

There was Silence in the room. Suleman and Sania looked at each other " I know the age difference is huge, but he is compatible with Mehmal. Both of them have seen worse in their life. They would understand each other better. It's just an idea that came to my mind. I might be thinking wrong," he said.

Suleman and Sania were silent, then Suleman coughed, " Emer Zaygil is a nice man and age difference is not an issue if the person Is Emer. You are right. Both of them have seen worse in life, and their work is similar and knows each other well," Suleman said. Sania nodded " Elif left him years ago so many years to overcome his state. He is in better position . Mehmal, I can't say the wounds are still fresh. It depends on her. If she agrees, Emer Zaygil is a nice person who will take care of her", he added.

" I don't think so Mehmal will agree. I like Emer. She took care of my daughter there, but now I'm scared. I have seen her in that state. I honestly don't know how I will ask her. If something like this happens, I will be in peace I want her to settle down again ," she said. Dr Yousaf had an idea they would not object, but Mehmal did.