How we met

A fan can be as loyal as a best friend. They will follow and support you in everything you do. I was not the exception. Khun Sam, short for Samanun Anuntrakul, has been on my mind since I was 9 years old. I met her by accident at school, literally. I was too distracted playing with a puppy in the middle of the road and I didn't realize that there was a car backing up that would have run me over.

KS: "STOP!" Khun Sam got in between me and the car. The driver rolled down the window annoyed at the kid who just stopped him from going somewhere important. Then he looked through the rear-view mirror and saw me looking scared and crying holding the dog.
Driver: "I'm so sorry!" Khun Sam helped me stand and we walked towards a bench on the sidewalk. The driver moved along as quickly as he apologized, so rude.
KS: "Are you okay honey?" I couldn't speak. I was still in shock. The only thing that got me out of my thoughts was the puppy licking my tears away. I giggled at the gesture.
Mon: "I'm fine, thank you so much!"
KS: "No, thank you! You found Singha, I've been looking for him everywhere." She pets the dog's head and it wags its tail excitedly.

Mon: "Awe, he's so cute! I wish I had a puppy."
Pohn: "Mon!" My mom came running towards us. "I saw everything, but I was so far away and so afraid something might have happened to you!" She kissed my forehead and hugged me.
Mon: "I'm fine, momma. She saved me. Wait, I still don't know your name."
KS: "You can call me Sam. And what is your name?"
Mon: "My name is Mon, short for Kornkamon." Khun Sam smiled at me, and I swear my heart melted.
KS: "Nice to meet you Mon. Teacher Pohn, it's good to see you again!"
Pohn: "How are you, Nong Sam? Still causing trouble with your friends?" Sam blushed.
KS: "Maybe a little." She giggled and looked down. My heart is beating so fast, and I don't know why. Two older girls who I later found out were Engfa Waraha, Sam's older sister, and Charlotte Austin, Engfa's girlfriend, came running towards us calling out Sam's name.

P'Fa: "Sam! We talked about this. You can't keep Singha. Grandma will kill us both and you know it." Sam looked at the other girl, Charlotte, pleadingly.
Char: "Oh no. Don't look at me, sweetie. You know your sister is right! If my mom allowed it, I would keep Singha myself, but you know my dad's allergic to dogs."
KS: "But I don't want to give him away to a stranger. What if they mistreat him?" I wanted to do anything in my power to make sure Sam smiled again so my little mind came up with an idea I hoped Mom would agree with.
Mon: "What if he stays with us, momma?" Mom looked at me knowing she couldn't say no to my pouty face. She sighed in defeat.
Pohn: "Since Sam saved your life, it's the least I can do for her."
KS: "Really?!"
Pohn: "Yes, you can come visit him any time you want!" Sam hugged Mom and me.
KS: "Thank you so much! I will visit him as soon as I can." Engfa received a phone call.

P'Fa: "Yes grandma, we are on our way!" Engfa reached for Charlotte's hand. That's cute. "Babe, we have to go. Sam, say goodbye. Let's go." Engfa hugs my mom. "Thank you again teacher Pohn!"
Pohn: "Any time honey. Take care of Charlotte for me! You know, I still have students talking about her crazy pranks last year." Charlotte attempts to hide behind her girlfriend and Engfa laughs.
P'Fa: "I'll make sure to keep her out of trouble. See you later, Mon. Sam, we will wait in the car for you." Engfa and Charlotte wave goodbye and leave. All this time I've just been looking at Sam playing with Singha.
Mon: "I hope to see you again soon, Sam." I smiled sweetly at her. Sam gives Singha to my mom and stands in front of me. She pats my head while smiling.
KS: "I'll see you soon Mon. Take care of Singha for me." I wanted to say I will take care of him with my life, but I stopped myself. Sam waves goodbye and heads in the direction of her sister.

That was the first time I saw Khun Sam, but it certainly won't be the last.