Birthday Surprise

Ok, I might seem stalkerish, but I'm not. I just wanted to make sure she wasn't going to meet with anyone especially since she wasn't staying home with me today. So I might have followed Mon around after she left the office. She went into many stores that seemed way out of her budget, but at least she didn't meet with anyone. Mon was muttering something to herself when I decided to approach her.

Sam: "Why are you talking to yourself? Do you have an imaginary friend?"

Mon: "Lady Sam!" She seemed startled.

Sam: "Why are you so surprised?"

Mon: "I didn't think I'd meet you her. What a...coincidence."

Sam: "What are you doing here? Do you have a strong urge to spend right after getting paid?"

Mon: "A little."

Sam: "Or are you meeting someone? Do you have a date with Nop?"

Mon: "Are you stalking me, Lady Sam?"

Sam: "I am. I need to know why you're here..." I admit my jealousy might have taken over me so I tried to cover my intentions a bit. "In case you're the mole." .-. I couldn't come up with anything better, ok?!

Mon: "You've gone overboard. I'm just here to shop. Is that wrong?"

Sam: "Shopping for what?"

Mon: "For your birthday present! There goes my surprise." I didn't want her to feel insulted, but what could she get me with that little money she just got paid? Plus I can buy myself anything I want, I don't want her spending money on me unnecessarily.

Sam: "With that low salary of yours, what are you going to buy? Why don't you give the money to your parents? Or save it."

Mon: "You're being harsh. I've already saved up part of my check."

Sam: "You don't need to buy me anything, save the money." She looked disappointed. I don't want to be the reason why she's sad. "If you really want to buy something, give me the money. I'll buy it for you."

Mon: "That wouldn't be a present then."

Sam: "It's my birthday. I'll know what I want to buy. It's 9pm. Go home. Give me the money, please." Mon finally gave in and gave me the money. I made sure she got on a taxi and went home. I only wanted one thing from her for my birthday. Since her lips were swollen today and I didn't want them to crack, I decided to buy a strawberry flavor lip balm.

I spent my birthday like I usually do. I went to the temple and thanked whatever is up there for another year of life. I went to visit Song's grave and talked to her for a bit, I also went to my parent's grave which I hadn't done in a while. I visited grandmother who gave me the same speech as always about growing old, getting married and having kids so I left as soon as I could. I received messages throughout the day from everyone saying Happy Birthday including Mon.

She arrived at my home around 6:30pm saying we had to go somewhere, but I couldn't know where. Mon doesn't know how to drive so we took a taxi, our hands held all the way there. We walked into the restaurant that I always go to with the girls, but everything looked dark.

Everyone: "SURPRISE!!" The lights came on, Tee, Jim, Kate, and Yuki cheered for me. I can honestly say with the decorations and their outfits this is the best surprise they have come up with.

Tee: "Welcome to your birthday party, Fuzzy!"

Jim: "Do you like it?"

Sam: "It's so-so."

Jim: "That means you totally love it!"

Sam: "What's with your costumes?"

Kate: "It's the cheering squad theme, of course!" Tee looked like she was going to a football match, Kate and Yuki had cheerleader outfits and pompoms, but Jim didn't look anything like the theme.

Tee: "Jim. How do your clothes match the theme though?"

Jim: "You'll be stunned once you see why. Wait a second." She grabbed a small table and wheeled it close to us. I was still lost, it was a cash register. "Here. What's this called?"

Kate: "A cashier."

Jim: "Nope! It's called Cash-cheer!" Everyone applauded at her elaborate nickname.

Kate: "I know this year has been tough for you so we must party hard today!" She left to set up what looked like karaoke. Oh no...

Yuki: "Hi, I'm Yuki. I don't know if you remember, but I'm Mon's best friend."

Tee: "And my date for the party." Mon looked at Yuki shocked.

Mon: "We will talk about this later." They all lead me to a tiny stage that was set up at the corner of the restaurant.

Kate, Jim, and Tee sang a couple of songs. I kept looking at Mon in the hopes that she would sing for me as well. My friends weren't really singers, more like squawking chickens.

Kate: "Mon, please come over here and sing for us."

Mon: "But..."

Sam: "No buts. Today's my birthday. You must sing. My friends want to hear you sing."

Jim: "Don't you want to hear her sing too?"

Sam: "Not really." Mon smiled knowing what I meant. Yuki seemed a bit lost, but I think she got the message.

Kate: "Let's give her some encouragement!" They all cheered loudly. I clapped my hands excitedly. It's been a while since I've heard Mon sing, but I miss it. Her voice is beautiful.

Mon: "I'd like to dedicate this song to the birthday girl." I got lost in Mon's eyes as soon as I heard her sing.

(Minute 14:34, Mon's song)

After Mon's beautiful performance, the ladies decided to give me their gifts. All of them seemed insignificant compared to the one I really wanted. Since I was distracted I didn't notice that Mon had gone outside. I excused myself for a moment and went after her. She was standing beside the mini waterfall that was in the garden of the restaurant. She was holding her arms around herself, it was cold outside.

Sam: "Mon, give me your hand." I placed the lip balm and the change that I got for the money that she gave me.

Mon: "What's this?"

Sam: "I bought a lip balm and there was some change."

Mon: "My gift is nothing compared to the others."

Sam: "Not true. It's even more special because I picked it myself." I grabbed the lip balm and removed the cap. "Here, put it on."

Mon: "Why?"

Sam: "You ask too many questions." I placed some of the lip balm gently on her lips.

Mon: "Why are using your gift on me?"

Sam: "Because what I want is not the lip balm, but your..." I kissed her gently. She smiled at me sweetly. "Here put on some more." She did as she was told and I kissed her once again. Her arms were around my neck and mine were around her waist. I pushed her closer deepening the kiss. Kate's scream abruptly interrupted us.

What is it with people interrupting us?!