Weddings and Proposals

The day of Jim's wedding turned into my biggest nightmare.

It started out great with a small ceremony between close friends and family. I asked Mon to come, but she ignored my texts. I thought she was mad at me again. During the ceremony, I couldn't help but imagine me and Mon getting married someday and the idea seemed very enticing to me. We've barely even defined our relationship and I already want to marry her.

After the wedding ceremony, everyone went to change into semi-formal outfits for the reception. Apparently Jim planned for another party after that. I don't know if I'll have enough energy for that as well, I was already tired of wearing these heels. Plus, I had asked Mon to stay over tonight and I was not wasting an opportunity like that when we could spend the whole weekend together.

Tee, Kate and I were getting ready for our performance. In the end, out of all of us I was the most prepared. I knew the choreography by heart. Kate kept getting lost so she just smiled and looked pretty and Tee barely put in any effort. Jim was the star since this was a gift for her and her husband, she said she wanted to participate in the dance too so we agreed.

The host of the reception got up on stage and cleared his throat so everyone would pay attention to him.

Host: "Excuse me, honorable guests. Forgive me for having to interrupt you for a moment. It's time for our special show dedicated to the bride and the groom today prepared by the cool bridesmaids. Are you ready for the show?" Everyone cheered. "Are you ready?!" They all cheered louder. I felt kind of nervous because unlike interviews this was something I never did in front of anyone, but for Jim I would do anything. "Okay. If you're ready, let's enjoy the show together."

Jim walked up on stage as the lights went down. We placed ourselves around her and the music started. I couldn't see anyone else in the crowd but Mon. I did the whole thing just staring into her eyes. I think this is the most time that anyone besides Mon has seen me smile. Mon cheered for me and I blushed forgetting the moves a bit. With my hands in a heart shape, I looked at Mon before the dance ended and winked at her.

As we got off the stage, I walked straight towards Mon. I didn't even notice that Kirk was beside her.

Mon: "You look so beautiful today." She smiled which made me blush. I tried composing myself quickly.

Sam: "Do I usually look ugly?" She knows I don't mean it like that, but here goes Kirk man-splaining things.

Kirk: "Sam is embarrassed that you gave her a compliment, so she's saying this." He chuckled. Who asked you?! Ugh! I rolled my eyes.

I got closer to Mon so only she could hear me.

Sam: "Why didn't you attend the morning ceremony? I was lonely."

Mon: "I didn't want to intrude on such a close event so I decided to attend the evening party." I nodded. Kirk didn't come to the event in the morning either.

Sam: "And why did you just arrive?" I asked Kirk.

Kirk: "I had to pick Mon and Yuki up before coming here, of course."

Sam: "Huh? Why did you do that?" I could have picked them up if I had known.

Jim: "The bride is here." Everyone awed. "Hey, lovebirds. You're taking the spotlight away from me. Want to have my wedding too?" I don't know if she was talking to Mon and I or to Kirk and I. If it's the second option, ew. Even if she was talking about Mon and I, I felt guilty that we weren't completely paying attention to the bride and groom.

Kate: "Jim!"

Jim: "What?"

Kate: "Your husband is standing right here." Kate was scolding her for drawing attention to us.

Jim: "Oops, sorry. You all were amazing with our dance today."

Tee: "For sure."

Aunt: "Kirk." Oh no, Kirk's relatives.

Kirk: "Auntie Weena, Hello." I said hello as well since I didn't want to be rude.

Sam: "Hello."

Aunt: "It's so rare to see both of you together in an event." There's a reason why we don't go together anywhere.

Kirk: "You're very kind." I looked at Mon who just lowered her head. I'm sorry Mon. I have to end things with Kirk before this gets worse for Mon.

Aunt: "Come join me at my table. Aunt Mei wants to know when you will get married." I got dragged away by Kirk and his aunt. While they talked I just looked at Mon, hoping that in my eyes she could see how deeply sorry I was about the whole situation.

Kate went to take some photos with her fans. Tee and Yuki were grabbing some drinks. Jim and her husband were greeting some of their family members. Mon just stood there watching everyone. I already knew what she was thinking. I wanted so badly to go over there, grab her hands and reassure her that she wasn't an outsider, that she belonged there, that she belonged with me.

Jim and her husband went up on stage.

Jim: "Everyone, attention please. I totally forgot to do one important tradition for weddings. So I'd like to invite all the single ladies to come to the front of the stage." The bouquet toss. Mon looked conflicted about going towards the stage so I took the chance to get away from Kirk, I grabbed her hand and dragged her towards the front of the stage with the rest of our friends.

I couldn't exactly consider myself single since everyone knew of my arranged marriage to Kirk, but I stayed right there besides Mon waiting for Jim to toss the bouquet.

Host: "Let's see which single lady is going to be the lucky one today. 1, 2, 3, catch!" Jim tossed the bouquet and of course Mon caught it. I smiled widely. I don't know if the world is trying to tell us something, but I agree.

As soon as Mon caught the bouquet, she and I exchanged looks. Everything we needed to say was said with our eyes. She got called up on stage. I applauded as she walked onto the stage meanwhile Kate kept hitting me with her elbow and raising her eyebrows up and down as if congratulating me. I kept my eyes on Mon all the time. Right now I couldn't care less about who was watching.

Remember the part where I said nightmare? Well here's reality. Kirk decided to propose to me at the wedding. Yep, the dumbass. At first, I didn't know what he was doing, I thought he had a bad knee or something. Then he whipped out a ring out of nowhere. Everyone awed at his action and I could just look at Mon. I swear I could feel her heartbreak in that exact moment. She ran out of building and I went after her leaving Kirk with no response, but it was too late.

The damage was done.