The Best Shift

I walked into the office as per usual although this time my eyes met Mon's. I can't believe last night happened. I'm not sure if it was a date or not, but it sure felt different than anything I've ever experienced before. We didn't even eat or anything, just talking and taking pictures. Grandmother may have diminished the full extent of my happiness with her comments, but I was not going to stop seeing Mon. Whatever this feeling is, I want to explore it in depth.

It was only for a moment, but when I met Mon's eyes I almost smiled. She lowered her head embarrassed, but I could tell she was smiling. It still amazes me the effect that she can have on me with just one look. I closed my office door behind me, set my things on the desk and waited a couple of seconds before opening the door again.

Sam: "Mon."

Mon: "Yes?"

Sam: "Bring your things and come to my office."

Mon: "Ok." I watched her grab the laptop and her notebook. I waited for her with the door open. She passed by me with her things in hand. I closed the door behind us and sat on my desk. She waited patiently for me. "The way you called me into your office makes it look like you're going to fire me. Will the others think I am the mole?"

Sam: "Are you? Am I?" I didn't wait on a response from her. I checked my emails quickly and nothing seemed urgent. "You talk too much. It's a waste of time. Come here." I grabbed her hand and lead her to one of the sofas. "I don't want other people to hear this. We're going to discuss our content today. Are you ready?"

Mon: "I am." She opened her laptop.

Sam: "What we're going to discuss today must not be revealed. If it is, you will be held responsible. Got it?"

Mon: "I will never betray you, Lady Sam." I hope not. "If I do that, you can do anything you want with me."

Sam: "Anything?" She nodded. Tempting...

Mon: "That's correct."

Sam: "Good to know." I started pacing a little bit to help my thinking process. "I was thinking last night that for the Diversity Pop content I want to talk about bullying. What do you think?"

Mon: "But you're a bully." This woman has no filter today. I'm not a bully. "Yesterday, you said I couldn't afford expensive things."

Sam: "I only said you were poor. I was stating facts."

Mon: "It felt like something a bully would say." She whispered to herself, but I still heard it.

Sam: "Ok...what about this: How to earn the trust of your subordinates." I already have that, so I know a lot about the topic.

Mon: "But that doesn't go well with your daily practice, Lady Sam. Are you sure you can write about it?" Mon, you're getting on my nerves.

Sam: "Hey, who's the boss and who's the subordinate here?"

Mon: "Well, you asked for my opinion. I should say it, shouldn't I?" True.

Sam: "Okay. Let's begin. We can talk about the different types of bullying..." We did some research on various statistics, found many sources on the topic that have gone viral, and redacted examples of bullying so the readers could know the differences.

Mon: "Should I order lunch for us?" I just nodded without looking up from my computer. Mon didn't even ask what I wanted, she just ordered as if we ate together every day and I actually enjoyed not having to make a decision for once. We spent the whole shift together in my office. While we were working side by side, I realized that I felt more at peace and at ease when Mon was around. What would have been a long, boring normal workday turned into an enjoyable shift.

Sam: "It's 7:30pm. Let's go home."

Mon: "Huh? It's 7:30pm already?" Time flies when you're enjoying yourself. "Should we continue to brainstorm our content tomorrow?" A whole shift is not enough.

Sam: "No can do. We're posting the first article tomorrow." Lie.

Mon: "Huh?! Then, you may rest at home, Lady Sam. I'll stay here and continue to work on this." Not happening.

Sam: "How will I know that you won't slack off?" I know you won't.

Mon: "What would you like me to do, then?" Is sleeping with me too straightforward?

Sam: "I'll have to watch you while you work."

Mon: "Alright. I can work here at the office. You can just sleep on the couch. That way I'll be next to you."

Sam: "I can't sleep here."

Mon: "Hmm. Do you want me to work at your house?" Smart girl. Not gonna lie I almost jumped up in excitement, but I obviously controlled myself.

Sam: "Oh, you want to go to my house? I figured." Mon was taken aback. "Normally, I don't let just anyone enter my house. But if you want to go that much, I'll take you there just this time." Mon was still sitting there shocked. I had already closed my laptop and grabbed my bag. "Hurry up. Why are you making the homeowner wait? It's rude."

Mon quickly grabbed her things and we headed towards the car. I opened the door for her and made sure she had put on her seatbelt before closing it. I got in the car and started driving home. I tried not to seem like I was in hurry to get home, but I was.

Mon: "Um...Lady Sam, until what time will we be working on this?"

Sam: "Don't know. Not sure when I'll finish thinking. Maybe in the morning."

Mon: "That means I'll have to stay over at your place?"

Sam: "Are you afraid?"

Mon: "That's not it. I've never stayed over at anyone's place before. I'm just afraid that my mum and dad will be worried about me."

Sam: "Call them, then. Do it now. Put it on speaker." Mon did as she was told.

Aon: "Hi, sweetheart. Where are you? Do you want me to pick you up near the side street?"

Mon: "Hey dad."

Sam: "Hello." Mon looked at me dumbfoundedly. "My name is Sam. I'm Mon's boss."

Aon: "Oh...um hello...Yes, ma'am." Her dad short circuited for a moment there.

Sam: "You can speak to me normally. My title is not much. I'm just calling to ask for your permission for Mon to..."

Aon: "Yes, you have my permission, My lady." That was easy.

Mon: "Dad, you still haven't heard what this is about." If I could laugh, I would. Her dad is so willing to give her to me. I like it.

Aon: "If it concerns Lady Sam, you will always have our permission."

Mon: "Dad." I smiled at Mon who was turning red from blushing so hard.

Sam: "You see, we have urgent work. I need Mon to help me with it. I might need her to stay over at my house."

Aon: "Yes, My lady. You have my permission. It's your place, so there's nothing to be worried about. Mon must be glad for sure." What did he mean by that?

Mon: "Dad, I have to go now. Bye." I snatched the phone before she could hang up.

Sam: "Please don't hang up yet. Why would Mon be glad?"

Aon: "It's because she admires you a lot, Lady Sam. She knows everything about you. She likes you a lot. She adores you a lot. And she's a huge fan of yours. If you don't believe me, you can come over to our house and see, My lady." Mon grabbed the phone back before I could say anything.

Mon: "I need to hang up, dad." Mon couldn't even look at me. She kept facing the car window.

Sam: "Snatching the phone from your boss. That's not nice, Mon." Mon looked everywhere except at me. "My fan huh?" Our eyes met and Mon looked away quickly. She was as red as a tomato. "Why are your cheeks turning red? Answer me, my fan." I kept teasing her all the way home. This has been the best day ever and it's not even over yet.