The Arrangement

I took three different routes to get to Grandmother's house. I was looking for something that could make me late or that could detain me. Don't get me wrong, I love Grandmother, but her way of showing love is to force people to do what she wants. I saw the giant gates that surrounded her house and waited for them to open.

I parked Ms. Duanpen near the fountain in front of the main entrance. I stepped out of the car and looked at her house. On the outside it might look like a palace, but the inside felt like a prison. I breathed in deeply and headed up the steps. Once inside I saw the stairs in the middle of the walkway. Grandmother loved to make her entrances there. I used to play with my sisters on those steps. Memorie lane was interrupted by one of Grandmother's servants.

Servant: "Lady Sam, your grandmother is expecting you." She walked towards the dining room as I walked behind her in complete silence. I sat down waiting for Grandmother with my elbows on the dinner table and my hands together under my chin hoping to stop them from shaking.

Grandmother: "Sam, your hands off the table now. And keep your back straight. How many times do I have to teach you? Keep your chin up." She used to scold me like this as well. Everything is about posture. As a royal, your posture must be immaculate at all times. I felt like a little kid again, never a moment of relaxation while being here.

Now with my back straight, arms at my side and looking straight forward, Grandmother was content. She sat down on her chair which was always at the head of the table where she could see everything. Many dinner parties were held here, but most of the time it was just me and her completely silent, eating, the only sounds were of the cutlery against the plates.

Grandmother: "You haven't come to see me at all lately." I did that on purpose.

Sam: "I've been busy with work." That was true, but I had spare time as well I just didn't want to spend it here.

Grandmother: "It seems your company has so many issues. It has consumed so much of your time since the first day you opened it. I don't think we have to wait until the 5th year. You should close it down now." Why would I shut down my only reason for happiness?

Sam: "But I asked you to give me 5 years. I must do it no matter what." This wasn't a very convincing argument, but it's all I had right now.

Grandmother: "Why waste your time? You're a woman. You'll have to get married and have a family eventually. Leave everything about work to your husband. Your job is to look after your children." Yeah, Grandmother still acts like everyone was born around her time and all a woman can do is marry, have children and be a housewife.

Sam: "But this company is my ultimate dream. If I can make it successful, you can be proud of me."

Grandmother: "If you want me to be proud of you, you should do as I say. Sam, you promised me that you would be a good child. You said you wouldn't let me down like Engfa and Song." This is the same argument she uses every time I come to her house.

Sam: "You asked me to come here to talk about this again?" I'm growing tired of her emotional blackmail. Before she could respond, two servants came into the room and brought a chair and the cutlery for a third guest. Great... "Who else did you invite?"

Kirk: "Hello, Sam." As if this night couldn't get any worse, my fiancée is here. He sat across from me and greeted Grandmother. I rarely see him and when I do, he's just a reminder of what will happen soon if the company doesn't generate more money. They served each of us a plate. "Please eat a lot, grandmother."

Grandmother: "I will." I think Grandmother finds Kirk a little too much, but he was the only suitable candidate that I accepted after the parade of possible suitors she arranged for me. He scooped up some rice and placed it on my plate.

Kirk: "Eat a lot, Sam." I didn't even thank him. He knows I hate when he does things like that. I'm not useless or weak, I can get my own food. We continued eating in silence until they brought the desserts.

Grandmother: "Time for desserts." Kirk and I had to share a plate of sweets that was placed in front of us. "Thai desserts from this place are nice. For your wedding, I think we should order from them." Another decision that wasn't in my hands but Grandmother's.

Kirk: "Thank you so much for helping us, grandmother. I think we can add them to our options when we start planning."

Grandmother: "It's better to do it now. Or you won't have enough time to prepare when the time comes."

Sam: "We have one more year, grandmother."

Grandmother: "You've been engaged for so long. You turn 25 this year. It'll get more difficult to bear a child as you grow older. I think we should move up the wedding date." No.

Sam: "You don't need to worry, grandmother. I always keep my word. If I can't achieve what we've agreed upon within a year, I will close down the company." I hesitate before continuing. "And I'll marry Kirk."

Kirk: "I can wait, grandmother. Let Sam do what she wishes to do first. I'm totally fine with that." Thank you?

Grandmother: "Then I shall wait and see if Sam can succeed."

No pressure...